AquaRay GroBeam Lighting Tiles

Angus

Drool.... !drool:

http://greenleafaquariums.com/products/aquaray-grobeam-1000-nd-led-natural-daylight-solid-state-lighting-tile-6500k-with-powercontrol.html

A couple of these tiles, attached to a frame, suspended over my 70G.... !drool: !drool:

Time to redirect those pennies :wink:

(Apologies if someone's posted this before me and these are old news)

The specs don't seem to add up.

They're 800 lumens at 30 watts for $400, that's about 26 lumens per watt, not much better than incandescent.

They suggest for a 4 foot tank that you use 3. So $1200 and 2400 lumens. That doesn't seem very bright since I'd estimate my 4 foot tank is pretty low light and I have somewhere around 8000 Lumens of lighting.

So need 9 at $3600 and 270 watts to match 145 watts of cheapie fluoros

Oh, that's probably USD so make it $4400nzd.

So a couple of tiles supplying 8000 lumens each, over a 4 footer would probably be ok?

What do people here think about the LED option? From what I can gather (low tech minded!!) they seem to be talked about as the way forward...?

I've been looking at some on tm lately, the power savings seem great and I know lots of indoor plant growing people are switching to led instead of hps, so they must be good. Apparently alot depends on having the right led bulbs for what you want, the spectrums are more specific than fluros/halides or something? Be interested to hear if anyone's got them and how they go...

I've been looking at some on tm lately, the power savings seem great and I know lots of indoor plant growing people are switching to led instead of hps, so they must be good. Apparently alot depends on having the right led bulbs for what you want, the spectrums are more specific than fluros/halides or something? Be interested to hear if anyone's got them and how they go...

Maybe I should look at getting some for my new planted tank. I'm so confused by LEDs

I had 4 of the aquaray growbeam 500s. One died completely, one lost two LEDS, and I've had three power supplies die.

2 are still OK, and I just keep them for the cool shimmer they give the tank. But I took a refund on the other two, minus shipping. Maybe I was unlucky, but I wouldn't buy that brand again :-?