setting up nursery tank tropheus

trophy_malaw

hey guys,

so as some of you know i have 3 female white bands holding at the moment and now thinking okay what is the next stage. In the past ive always stripped but im really interested in the fish and to set up a nursery tank and watch the mother look after the fry if she doesnt loose interest.

So i was wondering since i have 3 holding does anyone know if it would be alright to put them together in the nursery tank and they not kill each others fry or if anything they would actually help each other?

i dunno, any ideas. like i said i wanna give stripping a break with theese guys have to much respect for them.

My guess would be the holding females will fight with each other.. Plus the major disadvantahe of removing them from the colony is that they will get scrapped out or have trouble reintegrating into the colony after they have spat.

My suggestion would be to strip them and stick them in a breeding net or trap in the parents tank and raise them from there.

Another issue with letting them go full term is you get allot less fry.

My suggestion would be to let the females hold to term for the first couple of times. So that she learns what to do. If you were to strip now they would always expect you to stip and then maybe just swallow or eat the eggs.

Also try not to remove the females like ryan said, it makes things complicated when you want to add them back into the colony. Things may go wrong, but given that they are duboisi it wouldn't be that bad but why take a chance?

I usually stip after 2 weeks but longer you wait the lower number of fry you will get but they will be stronger and better.

When it comes to tropheus take it easy and don't complicate things. They are alot hardier than what people think