New to SW? starting FOWLR tank

Rob2904

Hi, I was wondering if you guys could shed some light on a question I have?

I am setting up my first SW system comming to the "Darkside" from FW. I have gone with a FOWLR system untill I get my head around keping good water quality.My system will be about 500L including the sump I understand that my live rock is my bio filter so more is better, but my question is....... If I was going to stock lightly would I need the whole 50Kg my LFS is telling me I need? I have a smidge over 20kg so far would this get me started with a couple of fish after I let it cycle? Any advice would be great. My system will be...

Tank, 430L with a sump of between 70-100L, Red sea protein skimmer 20 odd kg of rock, T5 lights approx 200w. Would it do me any good to throw bio balls in the sump or will that just raise nitrates?

If you're not intent on fulling stocking it, I'd just get a little bit more rock. Extra 10-15kgs maybe? Try find an in between as compromise or something. And Yeah, Like Zayne said, get a good skimmer. Better to just future proof it up a little bit by adding a little bit more rock.

• 2 weeks later...