upside down catfish

Billaney

How long have you had the fish and what size is it?

It doesn't have the colouring I'd expect of a true upside-down cat (Synodonits nigriventris). It looks more like a juvenile featherfin syno (S. eupterus) - they start of with a black and white squiggle pattern and has they grow get a dark spot on lighter background pattern with fin extensions from the dorsal fin rays. If it is a featherfin it should get to about 20cm long.

i also think they are juvi featherfins. i have 4 juvi synos that i'm growing up at the moment.. 2 of them are growing like there is no tommorow (they look exactly like yours, and i believe mine are S.eupterus). but my other 2 haven't grown too much and they have quite different patterns, so i am hoping they are true upside downs..or some other syno :) they were sold to me as upside down synos, but at $12 each i was highly doubtful, but that is a good price for any syno imo..

so what tankmates do they have..my huge one (not a juvi :lol: ) is quite boasterous at times and i don't think your average community would care for a rampaging pair of 7'' featherfins

I'm pretty sure that those are Feather-fin Syno's. In pet shops they are normally always sold as Upside Down Cat's when they are young and are normally about $12. They will get to 20-25cm (well thats how big I have seen them). How big is your community tank? Mine was fine in my 4' community tank (until it broke), where it grew from about 5cm to 17cm in about 2 years (maybe a little less). It didn't bother any of my small tetra's, but at a larger size they might.

Hope this helps.......

Cheers, CatBrat.