Some of my Aulonocara - Updated 5/8/2013

rcon021

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what have you got in ya all male tank? what size tank? My all male set up didnt work, everyone chased everyone and i had no luck keeping multiple peacocks most of mine were fine with the haps but would not tolerate each other, in the end i had to remove 11 fish. I kept 4. Have 1 peacock and 6 haps and a couple of small breeding groups, labs and rusties. Would like to try and add a few more peacocks and a couple more haps.

The all male tank( 400l ) just has all the excess males from my breeding stock. But this is not the ideal way to do it, but if my wife lets me get a display tank then i will consider the colours etc. All the larger males seem to be coloured and some of the smaller males are somwhat coloured.

This is a great article

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/all-male_malawi.php

Yeah I've read that before its a great site. I stocked my tank along those guide lines but from my experience, which granted is pretty limited as that was my first all male tank, i found that even if you stock with fish that are considered to be compatible sometimes it just doesnt work, peaceful fish can turn aggro just as aggressive fish can be pretty chilled. I kinda take their "temperament" as a basic guide as it doesnt always hold true. The 2 fish that gave me the most problems were a placidichromis electra and a red fin kadango boreyli both considered to be relatively peaceful.

I grew them all up together as juvies pretty much, and i think what happened is they all matured at the same time and all started throwin their weight around at once.

Goldheads aroun 100mm now

some with mask some without..depends on mood

have just recovered them from my old office so they are in need of TLC...a work in progress as filter had carked it and had only been getting a feed or 2 a week

all still alive tho so back into a conditioning program

will post pics next time I have camera in room

Black fins and red fins are also a work in progress and I would dearly love more of them as I lost so many in the last lot of quakes.....actually the December quake was the worst for me....didnt loose too many tanks only 4 or 5 but lost a lot of fish as fault was on my back door

so time to start looking for more fish...lol

Your comps are big, can't wait for mine

Mine are small at about 55-70mm.

I don’t have any “black fins” aka ink fin calvus?

Red fins are going well but too many males in my group. Only now I can see the red fins coming through and looks nice.

Get some pictures up nav.. And other stuff you have. Any peacocks?

• 2 weeks later...

ok

so limited peacocks

will post photos after i take more this weekend

still waiting on delivery T. sorry

have some new bits and pieces tho...well actually I have bits n peices I had years ago and have decided to have another go

You

And rcon...nice fish...thanks for the share..cant wait till they hit the market

Thanks

This line is from Germany and its ment to be a line bred version of Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Chipoka". They sell them as 'super red ruby reds'.

When i got them they were almost yellow/orange but with time they get more red.

All females show red but varies with each female.