2012 Pond update

preacher

Took the opportunity of the overcast weather on Sunday to do a stock take and clean up of the pond.

Some Pre - shots.

P1070473.jpg

Not much changed since October. Except I cut down the dead tree as it kept shedding sticks and branches everytime a gale came through.

P1070475.jpg

P1070477.jpg

P1070479.jpg

P1070481.jpg

P1070482.jpg

P1070548.jpg

My Big Momma, gosh she's grown. Shes about 9.5 - 10cm nose to tail and 1.5cm across at the shoulders

Drained it, was amazed at the amount of sludge and mud at the bottom. Almost my entire hand deep. Cleaned out a lot of it and rearranged the stones around the edges again. I figure they are better there than buried in a pile of sludge.

The bottom pond had become swamped with azolla so I chucked as much as I could out. I don't mind the Lemna as much.

Final Tally (I say final, 3 hours after I drained the pond I was still finding Crays appearing out of nowhere and fish stuck in weeds) came too :

18+ Crayfish. (I'm sure I lost count and there was at least 1 still hiding in his little hole.)

5 Goldfish

6 Bullies (2 redfin, 4 Crans/Commons)

7 Inanga

1 Banded Kokopu.

6 Southern Bell frogs

1 shrimp.

2 Mussels

No snails in the bottom pond, suspect they have been crayfish snacks

P1070468.jpg

P1070472.jpg

Lots of Damselflies and even a Dragonfly around this year :)

P.