Haps in wth Mbuna? do they mix well?

Rob2904

I have just rehomed my mbuna into a bigger tank and am now thinking that the top levels of the tank are looking very bare. What Hap Cichlids would go well in with my Demasoni, Yellow Lab, Rusty and Afra's? And wouldn't eat the smaller fry of all of the above? if there ar any?

Depends on the size of your tank. What are the dimensions? I have a taiwan reef, azureus,lithobate, malawi dolphins and a venustus in with a colony of labs and rusties and they seem to work well. Most of the haps we have available in nz grow to a pretty hefty size so you would need at least a 5ft tank, unless you buy them as juvies and rehome them as they get bigger if you have a smaller tank.

Not sure how they would go with the afra, are they fairly aggressive?. I had a colony of dems in with some peacocks and haps at one stage and this seemed to work well as the dems were more interested in fighting amongst themselves. I think the haps work well with the milder mbuna.

Yeah all male peacock tanks are cool. I think you'd be ok with any kinda peacock in your setup, they can get pretty snotty and would work fine with your mbuna. From what i have read the afras can get pretty aggro so i would think they would be the only problem u might have.

Are there any peacocks with a red colour? do the Aulonocara stuartgranti Maleri red have a good red colour when adult? the pics I have seen they look quite yellow. Has anyone got any or seen any and can shed light on it for me? I have enough yellow in my tank with the labs, and alot of blue with my afra and Dems and orange with the Rusties and hope some purple later on too. So would like to add a little Red. Any ideas?

i have one i got from ryan, cool fish. Not really red, kinda orangey red. Think ryan has some for sale. If you have a look for an older post from ryan on here there are some pics of his haps and peacocks he has suggested, will give you an idea.

I think your rusties and yellows will be fine with the peacocks, not so sure bout those afras as i stated before. I think the post is called "bored so took some pics", not sure how to setup a link to it

Wouldn't really suggest mixing peacocks with mbuna if you want the peacocks to have really nice finnage. Some may agree and some may not

I will agree with this comment, sometimes you find peacocks and mbuna that get along alright but generally they don't get along very well. More info in this article http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/peacocks.php in saying that I do keep my maleri reds in with demasoni and they seem to get along alright and have peacocks in a few of my mbuna tanks.

Your fish should be out and about I have kept similar fish and had no issues, I would watch the afra for aggression and crossing with the rusties, afra can get quite big and dominant as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I put 7 Giraffes in my 240L mbuna tank and the male afras killed off two straight away, luckily moved the rest in time in with my fronts which are much more relaxed. But then a small peacock males doing fine. I just recommend keeping a close watch on them to start with.

• 1 month later...

hmm...I must lucky then. I have a mix tank.

Fontosa from 5cm ~ 11cm, Giraffes 6 ~10cm, two red kadango male 15 ~ 20 cm, a sunshine peacock 12cm. 20ish fish.

Others all mbuna... group of red zebra, powder blue, yellows, demasoni. size from 3cm - 12cm. 30ish fish.

They all get along well.

I find they only interested in two things... eat and fight with their own species... :facepalm: :facepalm: