U/G

steve slack

does any one no hw 2 make U/G filters?

Sure do... but if you only have a single tank, then it is hardly worth it.

UG filters can be made from all manner of things... from upturned cut down seed trays, to plastic corrogated roofing.. if you need a "big" filter.

Even a plastic tea tray will work if you drill a series of holes in it.

I recently made quite a number from redundant seed trays that were kicking about in the greenhouse.

Just cut them down to around 30mm deep and bond a plastic strip inside so that the weight of the gravel won't make it sag.

Then bore a hole in the corner and fit a 15mm upright (slightly shorter than the max water level).. and bond it into place. Hot glue works here.

Push an airline with an airstone attached down the tube, and away you go... one UG filter.

The large type using corrogated sheeting is made by running a series of cuts across the high points on the sheets.

A skill saw with a fine blade does this great.

The whole filter will need to be supported slightly off the base.. so I use short lengths of 15mm tube running from front to back.

The corrogations by the way should run lengthwise along the tank.

Again... fit 15mm uprights for the airlifts.. and depending how long the filter is, you may need a few running along the back.

I think there is a crude pic of one of these on my site under the DIY.

EDIT... Just checked... must have taken it off.

EDIT... No I didn't... here it is...

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/grumpy ... rofilt.htm

HTH :)

Bill.