can a fish get on plane nation-wide

wee2

I have done it myself quite a few times. The key thing is to not let anyone from the airline know, as all of the airlines prohibit live animals on board. You will have to have the fish x-rayed to get through security, or remove the bags from the poly box to allow security to check (which is a pain and draws too much attention). The security folks are always quite interested and once they even took me around to see the x-ray image - you couldn't see a thing! No fish showed up at all in the image.

One security person did get a little stroppy the last time I flew fish to Auckland, she said that the airlines don't allow fish on board, I just said that I have done it plenty of times before and kept walking. I was a little nervous sitting in the departure lounge with two adult Golden Red Melon Discus at my feet!

Just get to the airport early, and make sure there are no airline staff at the screening point.

My sister and her daughter flew from Blenheim to Auckland with 4 cooler bags (2 each) of fish as hand luggage on the plane with them. Nobody asked, and they didn't tell :wink:

I have flown with an ice cream container containing an axolotl. The only reaction I got was a "Eeew!" from the stewardess when she asked what was in the container, so I showed her. :lol:

good to hear that experience

My experiance was that the person checking me in said straight out NO. They would have to be put on as luggage in the lugguge compartment with the bags. This was going to cost me nearly $50.00.

I turned away and checked myself in via the automated system and walked straight on.

As mentioned, it depends on who you ask and what mood they are in.

BTW, No Xray for my flights. Only 15 people fit on the plane that I take. LOL