Culturing fruit flies and small crickets and whistlers setup

Squirt

Hello :wave:

I was thinking of culturing fruit flies for a few whistling tree frogs. They are currently tadpoles at the moment but have very small back legs. So I put some fruit in a jar with a funnel blocking off the top and yeah, got a lot of fruit flies. They have little orange/red eyes. So I was wondering how you culture them? After a bit of reading and what people use for DIY mediums, I have

Yeast

Water

Oats

Sugar

Vinegar white apple cinder ect.

Can I make a medium out of this? If so how?

I was also thinking about culturing small crickets. I have absolutely no clue on how to do this, so if anyone can help on this it would be much appreciated :hail:

And on the topic of frogs, I should really start preparing a land area for the frogs, so their nocturnal and like hiding places and have shallow water either wise they'll drown.

Some people use sphagnum moss for the land, but I've heard mixed reviews about it and how it rots after a while. Is there anything else I can use? I was thinking about going and collecting river sand, would this work?

Of course I'll go buy some low light plants and find some useable driftwood.

Is this all I really need for whistlers? And what do you feed yours?

Any info links or help is aprreciated :hail:

Matt

Hi

Do you breed small crickets? Like small enough for whistlers to eat. If so how do you breed them?

I think I might just try breed fruit flies with a random mixture

1 cup oats

Some warm water

Some yeast

Some sugar

Some white vinegar

After reading some of Insect Directs posts sand seems ok? Will look for some hardwood, driftwood.

You can just about skip fruitflies and go strait to houseflies. But if morphs are little (smaller than 10mm) fruitflies and pinheads are your best bet, but should only be for a week or two / or until they put on some size. Generally if tadpoles are fed well they morph at 10-15mm and will take house flies, minimealworms, small crix (5mm), baby locusts, small slaters from the get go. The sooner you get them past the small stuff the better. If you can skip it then it really saves a lot of time and food.

Houseflies are cheap and easy.

Fruitflies can also be cultured with potato flake + water, yeast and vinegar. Cultures don't seem to last as well as the oat based mediums, but I have only just dabbled with potato and it did work well. Your recipe above seems to be missing fruit? An orange (skin and all) and some tinned plumbs :wink: .

Main thing is getting a consistent medium that doesn't dry out to quickly and or grow mould.

Sand for young whistlers may be a little dodgy. Keep it simple for young frogs.

Thanks, :hail:

I will skip the sand. But about potato flakes, where do you find them? I looked at local supermarkets and dairys but nothing :dunno: or Can you just mash up regular potatoes?

Can I ask what you use for a substrate? Because sand is now ruled out, would large river pebbles work? I know you can't use small ones because of impaction ect. But with pebbles can you grow plants in them?

Or I've heard about leaf litter. If this basically just dead leaves?

Thanks again

Matt

The one I have is Cinderella, Instant mashed potatoe. I know I have had to ask where it was in the past as I couldn't find it, but every supermarket should have it. Could use potato on its own but have a feeling wont be as good. The instant mash has preservatives and a few other things ... not sure how good it is nutritionally ... I only used it as that's what the culture I purchased off trademe looked to be made from. :D

Sand is ok ... just a little dodgy :sml2: I would raise them in something simple for the first few weeks or until at least 2cm and eating well.

I use river sand and or daltons propagating sand in my two tree frog vivs. I then try cover the substrate with moss, rocks, driftwood etc.. Works ok but I think it is too moist tbh.

For morphs I use critter keepers slightly bigger than these http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=414206854 with large pebbles and or sphagnum moss substrate, uvb fluro. Just easier to make sure every one is eating etc.

Never tried leaf litter. Would be ok but have a feeling the frogs would just hide a lot.

Hi

Yeah, I'm kind of using a bathtub with a secure lid on it ATM :slfg: ... I was thinking of using a 75:25 land to water ratio. So our garden has a variety of rocks from 2cm-10cm so I was thinking of just using them until they are fully morphed. I have 11 of these guys still, as the lady I was going to give them to is unsure about taking them, because the council keeps spraying her garden and the sand dunes near her house. She said she used to have heaps of whistlers until they all died...

Anyway, so when they are fully morphed I might try what you suggested, sand then pebbles then moss and driftwood.

As you said I will try to skip small stuff and feed them houseflies. When fully morphed could they eat blowflies. I seem to be killing them on a regular basis...

Thanks ID

Matt

Yeah yr 11 this year but took geography last year, mocks were decent all merit excellence except one paper in English. All the teachers are stressing out big time, and it's like I should get back into studying but so much fish stuff :facepalm: really got to get my priorities straight...

I know I all ways have a great idea &c:ry but have to do school work !! damm NCEA level one!!! :facepalm:

I want to get a culturing running for my grannys frog tank!!! Will have to wait after exams !!!

What would be the best food item for a small population of 7-9 cm bell frogs ? on a half land, half water set-up?

sorry for hijacking the topic! :smot:

Cheers

Haha all good! NCEA sucks bad, I've already passed with merit and got something like 120 creds, 40 at merit 26 at excellence and the rest at acheived. Plus earning some level two credits on the way... :thup: 7-9 frogs, well I fed mine like 10 blowflies a day (back in the day) lol sunny day + dog "leavings"= lots of flies :slfg:

Paraparaumu college. I had level one at the end of term one. Merit by the end of term two and all those excellence credits now. Last year I had 24 merit credits which really kick started me. Good luck, try hard in your exams in year 10 they do count. I got 4E and a M in my Maths, and got into top Maths. My marks were top of the class and the only one near my marks was a kid who got 4E and a NA. I also got into excellence sciences and English. I think teachers really help you if you get good grades.

Again good luck

Matt

When you leave school you'll realise merit and excellence mean nothing except for getting into limited entry degrees. I got 122 credits in year 11 and didn't study one bit. What matters is that you got lvl1, 2, etc.

Getting into hostels? I'd rather be getting merit-excellence than sitting on acheived. Also say your going to do health science. It's open first year. S you get in, then apply for dentistry. You got all A and A+ and got like 80%+ on UMAT. You're pretty much a shoe in. But what if you only acheived L1 L2 and L3 and there is another student who got all excellences and got the same grades as you.