Denitrator

dapdap

I'm looking for a way of reducing nitrates (other than constant water changes)

I have no sump and don't want a deep sand bed.

Anyone in New Zealand bought a denitrifying filter or anything else that has actually worked

If so where did you get it

Cheers

hi,

yes i have an aquamedic nitrate reductor 400. i do believe it worked to initially reduce my nitrates. you can buy my nitratereductor off me if you like - will sell it cheap. i have alot more LR, that and my skimmer are my two main sources of filtration now.

PM me if interested (see 4th item down on this page: http://www.aquatic-store.com/en-us/dept_226.html)

DapDap. I see your in Wellington too, there are a few of us (10ish) with tanks etc. Maybee we should hook up at some stage, have a look at each others systesms etc.

Water change the nirtates will take a lot of big water changes, but you will get there. Just try feeding a little less perhapps? Not sure how big your system is, how much rock, how big the skimmer etc but all of these things help. I have 0 nitrates (0 on the test kit...). Big skimmer, lots of rock, water changes, low bio load from fish and little feeding is what I am doing. YMMV

Good luck

Pies

I converted my fluidised sand bed filter into a sulphar bead denitrator then plan to pass this into an aqua medic chamber full off CaCo3 to buffer the water and add ca.

I would stongly recomend sulphar bead over aquamedic system, i have used one of these, it worked quite well, but the denimar (food) will be very hard if not impossible to get in NZ

HTH Ben