Leopard Gecko due to lay

emaytiti

Hey guys another question. Lol

I'm 99.9% sure one of my girls are gravid but hasn't laid any eggs and it's been about 3 weeks..is this usual - she seems okay. Is there a way to get her to lay them?

Would separating her from my other two be beneficial?

Cheers

Very easy to see if gravid ... you will see white eggs on the sides of the stomach ..

they do not need to separated .. I have 4 girls with my one boy in one set up and they are

laying just fine at the moment ...

You just need a container for them to lay in and some vermiculite to lay in ...

As above. They know more about it than us so if you give them a place to lay they will sort it out. I use moist sphagnum moss in an icecream container, but use whatever works for you. You can clearly see the eggs when they are gravid. one bottom right and one top left (from the bottom). What may look like an egg bottom left is calcium deposit. They don't like being tipped up side down so it is easiest to put them in a clear plastic container and hold it up in the air. I also keep them and leave them in groups but I give them a choice of a number of containers.

25-35mm is what I use for sphagnum moss but it depends on the size of your container. You need to have enough room for them to dig a hole then bury the eggs. With the moss they will sometimes just work their way to the bottom of the contaier rather than digging holes. If you give them the choice they will sort it out. You can often tell from their behaviour that they want to lay.

25-35mm is what I use for sphagnum moss but it depends on the size of your container. You need to have enough room for them to dig a hole then bury the eggs. With the moss they will sometimes just work their way to the bottom of the contaier rather than digging holes. If you give them the choice they will sort it out. You can often tell from their behaviour that they want to lay.

Ok cool, should i remove my other two as they always hop in the same container as her? What sort of behavior am I looking for?

Good eggs of both are generally firm, white and get a little larger over time. If they go yellow, get fungussed or get dented chances are they are not fertile. You can have one egg larger than the other in a pair and both still hatch or they may hatch days apart. Beardie eggs tend to be more rounded than leopard eggs but they lay a lot more. All these things are designed by Mrs Nature just to keep it interesting.

They may lay in the warm end or the cooler end of the enclosure. Mine generally lay in the warmer end but also in the cooler end sometimes. Where they come from is desert or semidesert and therefore is hot during the day and a lot colder at night. They will be OK. I understand that the sex is determined in the first 12 days. Having said that, all my males were incubated to get females. The only thing you don't want is super females so keep the incubation temperature below 90 deg F.

I don't clean them--best to treat them as gently as possible I think.

Some people say to put them up a certain way but I always incubate them in the same position as layed.

Birds eggs need to be turned but reptiles are a no no. That is why I don't like candling reptile eggs in case they get a fright and move. They always seem to hatch laying on their back.

• 3 weeks later...