My nano build

reptilez

i am picking up my nano tank on Wednesday...it is approx 60l....it has built in lights and a undergravel filter which i will rip out....

i will use RODI water for this tank...i will do 5l wc/week .....

shouldi use a protein skimmer for this size tank?

my options are either a ViaAqua with no UV on the DeepBlue Aquarium website

or

a Bubble Magnus QQ which is rated up to 100l

what one will work better???

in a filter or skimmer body , where ver you can fit it that has high flow, it will change from off white to dark brown when its exhausted then it can be regenerated many times by following the instructions so ya dont need to go out and buy a new pouch . a small pouch will last at least a year before it needs re generating in your tank any sooner and you'd know you have problems

in a filter or skimmer body , where ver you can fit it that has high flow, it will change from off white to dark brown when its exhausted then it can be regenerated many times by following the instructions so ya dont need to go out and buy a new pouch . a small pouch will last at least a year before it needs re generating in your tank any sooner and you'd know you have problems

ohh that works out quite cheap then!!!!

so you dont buy new ones ,you just regenerate it....

could it work if i use a HOB filter with it in ...and have no skimmer ???

yeah i did that for a few months with my tank, much better with a decent skimmer now though. another thing you are going to have to think about shortly with a nano is keeping it cool it will quickly go over temp in summer

so you think a skimmer is the way to go?

ok i will use icecubes for topups in summer if it gets too hot..i will also use a fan to cool it down.

so if i get a skimmer i can just put the purigen in it ???

it will depend on the skimmer you get

also if you use a fan for cooling expect to be topping up a lot an ato system may be the go

ok...could i use my Aqua One AF-80 L skimmer ???

i only just bought it so it would be cool if i can use it..

pictures of it it are on my other build thread.

is there a way i can modify it so i can hang it on ??

well...i just bought an Aqua One AR380 from Animates today...it is 34l

i will use this instead of the 60l as it comes with a filter system and lights built in !

i heard that i should add coral rubble on the top in the filter and that i should use a sponge and purigen..

i will buy some marine lights for it from HFF.

do i need a skimmer on a tank of that size ?

organism has an ar 380 set up as a nano perhaps email them([email protected]) they have had great success with it , i personally wouldnt bother with coral rubble a few nice bits of live rock will do it, id use purigen in the top filter and a nano wave maker like this http://www.fish-street.com/resun_mini_wave_maker_pump?category_id=35

i wouldnt bother with a skimmer as the small hob ones rarely work well and the pump will add extra heat to the tank. in summer you may find some pc fans and put them on the filter ( take cover off) id just leave them running all the time (unless you want to buy a temp controller) these should help the temp from getting too high but you will lose a lot of water due to evap will need to be topped up daily as it will affect the salinity quite a bit in such a small tank. you can make a cheap ato unit with a float switch and 12v dc water pump should cost least than $15 shipped from ebay all up (will need to get a 12v transformer from somewhere though) this will take the hassle out of daily topping up