My Bolivian Rams have spawned:))

mcmillanm

I wasn't even sure I had a male/female pair but it appears not only do I have a pair but they must like each other as they have spawned in my clay pot cave! The Parents are busily guarding them but will wait and see if they hatch/survive as it is a busy community tank. I don't have a spare tank for any babies but do have a breeder box I can stick on the side of the tank. Is it worth trying to transfer some survivors intoma breeder box do you think?

Thanks.

Ok, after guarding their eggs all night from the advances of my cheeky loaches, Corys etc they gave up this morning... When I got home from walking the dog - no more eggs and my rams are back to their 'pre egg' behaviour of hanging around the front of the tank greeting me when I got home.

Better luck next time!

Yeah, it's lucky that they seem to like each other as they are the only two in my tank. I must say it looked like hard work guarding their eggs against my loaches who looked to be taking turns at doing a 'swim by' on them. They must have been exhausted if they'd been having to do that all night LOL!

Hopefully they will give it another go in a few weeks...

Hi

I have been looking at mesh for my tank also. Absolutely nothing metal. It will rust and kill your fish. Plastic mesh is the way to go. I have seen some YouTube videos of breeders using a crochet mesh thing. I haven't been able to locate any though. I was thinking about building a frame our of Perspex or something and using a flimsy plastic mesh, the kind you get when you buy nuts or mandarins red in colour.

HTH

You could try plastic flyscreen mesh, or the craft mesh you can get from spotlight and is made of plastic and is for cross stitch, I have used it for spawning frames that go on the bottom of tanks for egg scatterers.

You used to be able to buy tank dividers from the LFS as well, I cannot recall the brand.

I would watch the flimsy mesh, fish have this uncanny ability to get stuck in the damn stuff, no matter how big they think they can fit through the gap are they seem to manage to get their gill covers stuck in it.

Hi

I have been looking at mesh for my tank also. Absolutely nothing metal. It will rust and kill your fish. Plastic mesh is the way to go. I have seen some YouTube videos of breeders using a crochet mesh thing. I haven't been able to locate any though. I was thinking about building a frame our of Perspex or something and using a flimsy plastic mesh, the kind you get when you buy nuts or mandarins red in colour.

HTH

Stainless mesh won't rust.. However it is very expensive so plastic probably works out better..