Beardie Breeders

redrachie

hey godric!! nice beardie you got there!! !i was definately keen and had emails etc from that TM auction but my bad luck i could only get online at work and couldnt get TM assess for a few days!! so yup i would have bid. but lucky thanks to FACEAnthrax i have got one now from chch! well one coming. Have you got your pet courier sorted? as im going with mortley transport. Now i've just gotta get my rock wall finished and wait for my uvb bulbs i ordered to arrive and then get the temps or sorted for when he arrives!

Yeap that's who's being used bring'em come up from invercargil too all the other pet couriers either don't go that far or keep cancelling.

Where abouts in Chch did you get yours in the end?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i tried to search for the northland ones but going on the website it wasnt showing there was a pet store there.. so gave up! Thats good to hear they all look well. Alanmin was VERY kind enough to go in there and check them out for me, just to make me feel a bit better! lol it would have been nicer to get one from a good breeder and get all the info. But unfortunately unless i was waiting another year for one then i dont get much choice. And at least one of those babies now gets a home thats gonna love it and look after it the best i can! :-)

i tried to search for the northland ones but going on the website it wasnt showing there was a pet store there.. so gave up! Thats good to hear they all look well. Alanmin was VERY kind enough to go in there and check them out for me, just to make me feel a bit better! lol it would have been nicer to get one from a good breeder and get all the info. But unfortunately unless i was waiting another year for one then i dont get much choice. And at least one of those babies now gets a home thats gonna love it and look after it the best i can! :-)

I'm sure the lady in Pet and Garden was a lot more knowledgeable on the lizard with where's it's from, type, coloration etc though, than the people at the northlands pet store they couldn't even tell me how old theirs were and tried to exclaim there wasn't any coastal beardies in NZ.

oh geez... :-s well i'll count myself lucky! Yup pets and Garden knew the hatch date which was good and was nice enough to email me pictures etc. Soo excited. Have been wanting one and researching for nearly 3 years now and its all finally happening. ahh Still sooo much to learn tho

oh geez... :-s well i'll count myself lucky! Yup pets and Garden knew the hatch date which was good and was nice enough to email me pictures etc. Soo excited. Have been wanting one and researching for nearly 3 years now and its all finally happening. ahh Still sooo much to learn tho

You got any locust etc breeding yet? Or any greens growing? :thup:

If not probably a good time to get going, that little guys gonna be wanting LOTS of bugs when he get there xD.

got it sitting on 43c now- thanks for every ones help..

Just a question regarding the temps ... has Godric here stated 43c.. and repto said this is far too hot. I just wanted to confirm this.. as from all the reading i have been doing (alot from overseas websites uk, america etc) they state for babies and juveniles the temp at the basking spot should be around 110F (43C)

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/caresheet/?page=2 here is one link to show what they recommend.

Im not saying Repto is wrong as im sure you know your stuff.. i was just curious to what i should be doing.

Thanks

that's where i got it from.. but guessing it could be different kinds of dragons ? as the breeder i'm getting my dragon from said 30-35 hot end and roughly 20-25 cold end. got mine perfect now just waiting.. 30th cant come soon enough

Just a question regarding the temps ... has Godric here stated 43c.. and repto said this is far too hot. I just wanted to confirm this.. as from all the reading i have been doing (alot from overseas websites uk, america etc) they state for babies and juveniles the temp at the basking spot should be around 110F (43C)

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/caresheet/?page=2 here is one link to show what they recommend.

Im not saying Repto is wrong as im sure you know your stuff.. i was just curious to what i should be doing.

Thanks

Thanks

I would presume 43c to me surface temp rather than ambient?

My basking spot sits at 37-40 surface temp with 30-35 ambient on the hot side and 25-28 ambient and 22c surface on the cool side.

they love 35-40 ime

30C basking temp makes for a slow growing tempremental little git :lol:

" The top basking area on one side of the cage (closest to the light) should peek between 100 - 105 [(37.7 - 40C)] degrees for adults and 100 - 110 [(37.7 - 43.3C)]for babies - with the ambient cage temperature on the other side of the cage being significantly cooler - approximately 80-85 degrees [(26.6 - 29.4)]. This basking temperature may seem high, but these temperatures are common of the ground surface when air temperatures are over 85 degrees"

http://www.dachiu.com/beardeddragoncare/dragoncaresheet.html

have read articles stating upto 120F (48.8C) basking temps but I do think that is pushing it a little.

Yes I have even seen some even say 130f way to hot.

I completely agree with insect directs responce, just been reading again ambient vs surface for beardies.

Hard to read proper surface temps for those that don't have an infrared heat gun. I borrowed one to do the measurements on mine.

The consensus on the net seems to be around 37-43c surface temp on the basking spot with an ambient of around 32c on the hot side. With the cool side being an ambient temp of 26c.

Hopefully should put this topic to rest xD

There are some very experienced and in my view expert reptile keepers on this site and the advice given above is from one of them. I still have a lot to learn but I have successfully raised a number of clutches of bearded dragons and have never lost any bits off any of their toes or tails. I think the people who raise the temperature too high to get fast growth are force feeding and making a mistake. The heat source is in the middle and even then they spend most of their time at each end. Beardies cannot feel heat from underneath. Around this way 25 degrees C is a warm day.

I raise mine on astro turf and nothing else, with the temperature controlled by a thermostat set at 25deg C and the probe at ground level. I have food in there all the time and a variety of food of suitable size is given.

This avoids "who is the king of the castle" and bullying over food.

They should not be forced to grow too quickly and should not be bred too early in my opinion.

one of the experts who has posted in here gave me a link to the dachiu website a few years back.

only time i had tails nipped was when i got low on food. + had 5 housed together and was a complete noob.

would be interesting to see the outcome of some raised at 25-30 and 35-40c after 3 years. some say slow grow bigger eventually. Seen more stunted beadies about then anything so something aint right out there.

consistency is key.

Everone on here will have different views and that is healthy. In the end people have to work out what is best for them. I am only stating what I do. I encourage people to breed their own food (particularly locusts as they are expensive to buy and therefore I see people only feeding cheap stuff. If you keep babies too hot I think they will behave like "P" addicts. If mine were not hot enough they would always be huddled under the heater, and they are not. People also forget that different materials radiate heat differently---astro turf has pile so that when they are on it there is a lot of air space under them and the material does not radiate heat like stone or metal would. They are therefore heated from above. Having said all that, people should do what they think is best for their reptiles.

I raise all of one clutch together with beardies but not leps as I have had them fighting at 3 days old, yet others are OK.

I bought a five year old female beardie a while ago which when it arrived was a bit smaller than I had expected and had never laid eggs. Even though it is unlikely to get any bigger I fed it on a variety of foods and this season it laid 3 clutches of 17 eggs each. Most of them were not well formed but I did get a few through which I will keep to see how they turn out.

yes people do have different views and that is why i asked for opinions and i will definately take everything in. Thats the only way to learn, when i havent experienced it myself and only getting my first beardie the best advice is from ones who have been there and done that. So thank you all!!!!

I got a question. Can anyone identify these leafy greens (loose leaf lettuces I think?... looks like lettuce), I was given a few and wanted to make sure they were, cos I thought about feeding to my beardy?

Lettuce isn't supposed to be any good no nutrients... Just wanted to double check it's what I think it is (never grown lettuce before :P)

fGs7U.jpg

And decided to post my dandelions too for fun :P They've turned into a forest

aLTfA.jpg