Juwel Vision 450L Marine - what would you do?

Phantom

not really, again its a very old outdated style skimmer like the aquaone or red sea stuff. You would be much better to look in the BM range or some other newer skimmer. Also you cant look at the skimmer as you do with a canister filter for fresh water that uses lph turnover etc, skimmers are normally based on volume of the tank and i would suggest you try to get some thing around 2x what your tank volume will be.

No skimmer better than cheap skimmer.

At least when you dont have a skimmer you stock / maintain accordingly, whearas having a skimmer allows you to be a bit slack with such things - a cheap skimmer simply doesnt pick up that slack.

Cheap should be replaced by poor or old fashioned. Some of the Berlin or redsea aint cheap!

Reason I asked about that a store is selling the Berlin for $295, RRP seems to be $700+. Redwood recommended one, said they were running one on one of their display tanks.

Once again, you can buy a very nice Bubble magnus for $300 that will be twice the skimmer that thing is - do you not wonder why they are trying so hard to get rid of it. Everyone keeps telling you this, yet you keep coming up with the above.

My last word on skimmers for you.

Once again, you can buy a very nice Bubble magnus for $300 that will be twice the skimmer that thing is - do you not wonder why they are trying so hard to get rid of it. Everyone keeps telling you this, yet you keep coming up with the above.

My last word on skimmers for you.

OK, I'll go for a BM :) I was only asking about some of these others based on information given to me by LFS's and things I'd seen available locally.

I'm now looking at avoiding the sump idea if I can (due to the lack of space for one) and going with a HOB Bubble Magus NAC5e. Any pro's / con's of that one? I see it's rated for 300 - 500L. Is there any benefit in running 2 of them?

You're also right, the price of BM's is rather competitive.

I'm now looking at avoiding the sump idea if I can (due to the lack of space for one) and going with a HOB Bubble Magus NAC5e. Any pro's / con's of that one? I see it's rated for 300 - 500L. Is there any benefit in running 2 of them?

well i dont no much bout marine, but id say the more media you have the better, cos it can hold more bacteria to use ammonia etc, so 2 would be better

well i dont no much bout marine, but id say the more media you have the better, cos it can hold more bacteria to use ammonia etc, so 2 would be better

Hehe you don't know much about marine then :P

It doesn't have any media at all .. but sure, I absolutely agree with you from a freshwater point of view. I run excessive filtration on all my freshwater tanks :)

I've heard you can overdo skimming though, if there isn't enough to skim out. Any truth to that?

i think you just end up skimming out trace elements which will happen to a degree anyway( a lot of people dose trace because of this) if theres nothing to skim out it wont skim anything so its not so much of a problem really you would need to spend a lot of money to overskim a 450l tank though.

OK, I'll go for a BM :) I was only asking about some of these others based on information given to me by LFS's and things I'd seen available locally.

You're also right, the price of BM's is rather competitive.

I find that many LFS lack in up to date reefing / marine information and it is best to seek advice online and through other reef / marine specific forums. If I had ever only gone to buy everything and listen to everything from the lfs id end up broke and in debt trying to buy everything they suggested to deal with this and that, upgrading equipment which they said should be good and in the end Id have a damn fugly reef tank. Puttputt has had one of the best reef tanks in the country with many years of experience, im surprised you didnt take his advice any sooner :facepalm:

Rant over, and back to some sound advice, Id strongly recommend going with a skimmer thats rated for twice your water volume. With a 450L tank, take into account glass thickness, rock, sand volume and displacement you will not end up with 450L. It is hard to overskim, but do not buy two skimmers, thats twice the cleaning and double the amount of things which could go wrong, do it once and do it right.

If you manage to fit in a sump and with a budget of $300 id say go for a NAC6A or better yet, spend an extra $50 and get the NAC7 it is a highly rated skimmer.

Hehe you don't know much about marine then :P

It doesn't have any media at all .. but sure, I absolutely agree with you from a freshwater point of view. I run excessive filtration on all my freshwater tanks :)

I've heard you can overdo skimming though, if there isn't enough to skim out. Any truth to that?

ohh sorry :facepalm: :oops: :oops: :oops: , but my point of view with fish tanks is they can never have to much filteration (within reason , like dont go putting a pool pool filter on a 100L tank :slfg: