New native tank setup

Aqua

Hey guys, I'm going to be buying myself one of them AquaOne (ViaAqua? I forget :roll:) AR510's in about a few weeks, and I've been thinking I want to go the native route..

Would the kokopu/inanga be ok in the tank? I know it's still quite a small tank (about 75L), but it's the biggest the other half will let me buy! :cry:

Also, what native plants do we have that're compatible with aquarium life? Bearing in mind that I can't really have plants living outside of the tank and draping into it, 'cause of the filter/light/casing of the tank...

Suggestions please!! :D

Also, the other options I've been pondering are:

An Oscar (although I think the tank would be too small for a full-sized one... How quickly do they grow?)

A species/biotope tank, but something a little different from the norm... I love my oddball fish!

**Edited**

Stupid keyboard gnomes keep moving the keys around!

Someone in this site actually breeds kokopu or some native species on a commercial scale if I remember rightly. Can anyone tell me who that was? He was complaining more fishkeepers didn't 'go native' but conceded it was hard to set them up with the right conditions. Might go have a search through old threads...

Sorry I don't know how to post a link to the original thread but it was in Freshwater and called Native Fish not exotic enough? on page 10.

The guy's name is Charles. He hasn't posted in here for ages so don't know if he is contactable or still keeping natives.

What sort of native plants could be used? I liked the Glossostigma elatinoides & Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae as ground-cover/rock cover, but what about bigger plants?

Do mangrove tolerate freshwater? Mind you, the Galaxids like slightly brackish water, don't they? So mangroves would be fine in that, but wouldn't they get too big?

Does anyone know if we (as in New Zealand) have a native water-plant similar to the Amazon Ferns?

Or would a NZ native-biotope be more rocks & roots than live bushy plants?

eeehehe so many questions!!! :lol:

I have taken a few plants from lake Taupo, not many survived, I assume because my water was too hot, but there are some really nice plants there. Not sure of name's or even really if they were native. There must be a lake up your way you could plunder, or do a day trip down the line.

Coming from streams I think whitebait etc would need a lot of current in the tank which could be a problem. I have kept freshwater crays (crawlies) and eels, both are very interesting and easy to keep. Just need to have a tight fitting lid!

yeah, the AR series are quite good, I had the Ar-380 a couple of years back and I loved it. The lids aren't really a 'tight' fit, but I guess it wouldn't be hard to jimmy them to be a bit more snug... :wink:

And I was thinking about getting an eel or 2, but they'd grow too big for the tank way too soon, and the other half veto'd that idea anyway *sigh* :P

Yeah, that's not a problem, it'd either be eels OR whitebait...

I think I'd rather go with the whitebait anyway... Prettier to look at, and it allows me to get native plants growing as well! Although I don't know how many native aquatic plants we have, 'cause the AR series tanks need to be filled to the top (with water)! :P