DISCUS STOCKING RATES

BK

Hi all. Re stocking rates of a new tank I'm putting in. It measures 0.650mm long x 0.450mm wide x 1.000mm high. I understand that this has a small surface area so have a long air stone that will go along the back wall of the tank.. I'm thinking that I could start of with say 9 fish between 2-3inchs and as they grow move any that pair into separate tank. I'ld also like to keep some cardinals (12), Croy's (2-3) and maybe some Gromi's (dwarf x2). Cardinals to settel Discus, Croys to clean bottom of tank and Gromi's for top.

I understand that a lot of you will say that I should keep Discus by themselves but I have limited space and untill I've moved everything out of the sleepout (furniture making tools and Rimu) I'm limited. Oh by the way my partner has just borought Blacks pet store in Opawa Rd Chch and we are currently looking at putting Tropicals back into to stock. Hopefully if everything goes ok I'll be able to expend my collection in to Saltwater as space is available. Currently looking at buying a small bock of land so I can breed fish and Parrots. Would love to be able to donate a % of profits (if any) to Amazon preservation and reef restoration on the Coral coast in Fiji(great people, big Tiger sharks when diving with the local boys at night with only $5 torch and mask). Always need to put something back and live sustainable.

...Would love to be able to donate a % of profits (if any) to Amazon preservation and reef restoration on the Coral coast in Fiji...Always need to put something back and live sustainable.

Hey BK!

Can't comment on the stocking-rate question I'm afraid, nor the mixing of Discus with other fish, but I wanted to extend a welcome and give you "mad props" for your environmental concern and focus. :bow::D

Cheers just plans at the moment. I work for a timber company that use to cut Rimu on state land and even through the forest was expanding ( something DOC can't do with there pet possums) and the bird life was double that of DOC land they stop us. So well aware of were we are with our soroundings. Interesting last time I was on the westcoast I picked up a couple of guy's thumbing a lift, turned out they were DOC works trying to control pest in the old loading areas and they agreed that Timber lands were doing a lot better at the forest in there natural state then they could with blanket 1080 drops. Disapointing that we have people (labour/greens) in goverment that don't look at the facts and only ride the bus. Helen clarke was on the tele one day sitting in her home after the last election with Rimu coffee table, flooring and breakfast bar, also Janet for the greens was the same. Seems that now they have what they won't the rest of us can't use the resorces we have and protect them for the future. At the same time they stop us cutting 1 tree every 2 football feild every 5 years, at the same time SILA lands (south island landless moari act) were being clear felled and have only just stopped after 10 years. Sounded like 2 laws to me. I could go on for ever about sustainable logging being better than any other industy in NZ but people would rather let the rats and possumes eat them to bear sticks as you see in the central North Island. Sorry about spelling mistakes but there a reason I'm a timber worker.

Getting way off topic now... ;)

I'll confess that in a pinch I'm likely to find myself on "the bus" as you put it. There's some primitive idea in my mind along the lines of "logging = bad", but I'm smart enough to know that I know nothing about it, and I'll happily bow down to anyone with a greater understanding than me (such as yourself). Our knowledge about ecology and the environment is ever-expanding, and nobody knows everything, and we'll never be able to act "perfectly", but so long as there are people (like you) striving to do the best thing with the knowledge that's out there, I'm a happy camper! Keep it up, and good luck with the new tank! ;)

Brian

Not that forest. This was done with Timberlands who have had there plan now used in Canada and the USA. Nothing wrong with there plan, has been excepted world wide as "Worlds Best Practise" By the way lets want and see whats going on in the case on tele as we don't get told every thing and one expert can have completely different results and we are talking about politican. I'll still working for the same company (pine) but we have laid of 30 staff and have had about 200 staff of our former customers laid of with most furniture now being made from clear felled rainforest (imports). Back to question does any one in CHCH have some spare fish in about two weeks and how many should I get.