Do catfish whiskers grow back?

Funkytown

My new cory must've cut himself shaving before I got him from the lfs, and one side of his face sports a moustache, and one is clean shaven. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they grow back, or is this little guy likely to be lop-sided for the rest of his life? ;)

Brian

Trim the other side off to even him up.

The poor fishie will be swimming in circles and having to compensate for it.

I've had them wear out there "whiskers" in the gravel that I use,

I've seen no regrowth, but they still seem to cope okay.

Alan 104

you can always get some glue and stick a whisker back on (using a hair from your head) :lol:

You obviously haven't seen me in person. Let's just say I save big bucks on shampoo... ;)

He seems to be doing alright, he's just not so easy on the eyes as the others... :)

• 1 month later...

Glass catfish grow theirs back too (there is only so many times that they can sneak up on another fish and prod them before they get a violent response).

I was under the impression that rough substrate (like Alan has) irreparably damages corys. It may just be that the whiskers don't get a chance to grow back before they're worn down again.

That is an "Old wives tale" that sharp substrate wears away barbels on catfish. Experiments with crushed glass have proved beyond doubt that it is not the physical form of the substrate that causes "Barbel erosion".

Barbel erosion is quite commen in bare tanks with no substrate at all.

Provided the damage is not total, yes the whiskers will grow back.

Alan.

Alan-au said:

Experiments with crushed glass have proved beyond doubt that it is not the physical form of the substrate that causes "Barbel erosion".

Would be good to read the write up on this if you have it Alan-au.

Another "theory" is that the barbels of the catfish get erroded away due to the constant contact with the bacteria in the gravel and substrates.

They "do" definitely grow back, and the quickest way I have found was to place them in a bare bottomed tank with better food and water conditions... no meds :)

Bill.

Right on bill !!! specially if you have a good snail population or a couple of bristle nose in the bare tank with the recovering cories (Catfish).

We have no scientific evidence so far but anacdotal reports suggest a bacterial activity on "Cat whiskers" in some situations. To the extent that some cases result in total erosion and mouth deformaties.

Alan.