Pantadon Butterfly Fish

Don't normally post here, but I'm in a new happy fish mood...

Firstly try for three rather then two, as two might snap at each other and plus they seem much much happier in a group (I have five).

Mine are eating a cocktail of Hikari Food Sticks, Cichlid Gold, JBL NovoStick M, tubifex worms, floating blood worms and the odd insect now and then. If you only choose one dry food, go for the Hikari Food Sticks; the pantadon butterflyfish is part of the Osteoglossiformes order and so is the Arowana and they share a similar wild diet (well the scale of the food is different) so therefore it made kinda sense.

Size; expect 9-12cm when grown up.

Mine are currently happy living with Senegals, Delhezi, Palmas, Leopard Ctenopomas and Kribs (spot the theme!) in a planted tank. Avoid small fish like neons, danios, hatchetfish, etc... they'll just "disappear". Also I have a mix tall and floating plants and some long bits of driftwood that stick out of the tank water surface for the pantadons. They like the floating water sprite and tiger lotus (unless there is a senegal tangled up in the lotus stems and thrashing around). 'Chasing' each other in the upper pieces of driftwood is fun to watch. If you can't get some real floating plants, grab a couple of those fake plastic floating lily pads, seems to claim the fish down. Also a shaded corner is a good idea. I have a triangle of black plastic under the lights covering one corner of the the tank and they seem to dart to and from it quite happily or when startled.

The pH in my tank is fairly stable 7.2, temperature is 27°C, very good filtration (2x CF1200s on a 300ℓ tank) but keeping the surface flow/disturbance low; they don't like it and nor does the CO2.

Also make sure the tank is well covered, not as bad escape artists like arowanas or polys; but will still jump if given the chance. So go for a canister filter or top trickle filter rather then Hang-On-Back or sump/overflow setup.

Need any more info?