Arowana girth?

ally07

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, just measured the aro again tonight.. He measures in at........ 38cm! :happy1: :happy2: That would be a growth rate of 11cm in just under 5 months. The best thing is that this is pre-massivore diet. His new diet will include a minimum of 4 massivores per night, so I'm expecting his growth rate to explode soon. My eventual aim is to get him to 60cm ( :o ) But I'll settle for 50cm+ if it can't be done lol.

Aiming for the moon, baby! :thup:

wow

i am unsure, but you got yours from bird barn and initially we feared it was stunted.

wtih that growth, i believe othewise!!

that is awesome growth, you cant get much better than that.

you willf ind though after reaching 40cm, your growth will taper no matter what to probably half that.

green is more wild and tend to grow better though from what i have seen and read.

but awesome!!

Well, I have no doubt that for his age, he is smaller than what he should be, but the hope all along was that good food/ water/ space would help him to recover. So far, so good but the real proof will be when he is maxed out eventually. Massivore will probably be a big help lol. To be honest, 60cm is really an ideal, not sure if he can get that big in captivity or how long it will take, but worth striving towards I guess!

tis possible. good water, lots and lots of food! big tank, its doable.

my rtg was 55 cm, max size in aquaria is supposed to be around 60cm.

tip to tip was 55cm ish.

that took only 3.5 years.

i reckong your green will reach at least 50cm, whcih is still very big!

i really am hoping my red can get to past 60cms!

i want a cranking monster:D

then upgrade the tank to a bigger one, mroe bichirds, more clowns, moer eels, more apolo shark, more parrots, more archers and mroe aros:D haha

that took only 3.5 years.

:roll:

i reckon your green will reach at least 50cm, whcih is still very big!

Yeah, after seeing your RTG, 50cm is BIG, but anything after that will be for personal glory lol! Just a waiting game between me and the fish.. :x

yeah, im impatient too, but i get joy in seeing the fish grow and scales develop!n

its weird, i sometimes sit there and find i been watchin the fish for 30 mins lol

just trying to spot the odd extra scale colouring up.

im taking another photo of the red july as part of my colour development diary, im curious what it looks like as i see the fish daily. its better to have photos.

your green will get huge, with that growth, thats amazing!

massivore baby!

That's the thing about a green, you don't see the colour developing, but there are different times when the green is more shiny and other times when it is deeper. I don't understand how it does that because it's all under the same lighting at similar times of the day when it changes - mood maybe? lol.. I think eventually I want to also tan my green, just as an experiment lol, I wanna see how GREEN it can get.

I'm also working on trying to reverse the gill curl on his right side. I've put in a small powerhead that I have lying around which I've noticed has improved it a little bit by loosening up the gill flap that's flipped over onto the cheekbone. The curled portion is the soft tissue, so I'm hopeful that it can be reversed over time. I'm thinking about upgrading the powerhead to a wavemaker, but I'm not sure how strong I should go. Had a quick look on TM and for $50 or less I can get a wave maker from 1000L/hr to 12000L/ hr - how much is too much?

that is a bit much

gill curl wont go - it will stick around, only way to fully rid of it is to sedate, and operate.

iw ould just lave it.

gill curl is not gonna impede on aros life, its there, its just part ofi t. now you can give it good care and avoid the other gill from curling.

but if you reallyw ant, king will be able to help you wtih sedation lol and just you tube vids of operating on aros lol

illhelp if you want:P

will be interesting!

then you cut the curl and it grows back normally

but then again i dont see a point to be honest.

yeah tanning a green, not sure if it will do anything.

i reckon greens look cool under very bright white light,they almost have a silver sheen and shine to them.

Ahh well, probably just leave it then lol. Don't want to risk a surgery over cosmetics haha. I saw a twin head wave maker which has a 6000L/ hr output, reckon that will be alright? I want to get some undercurrent going as well because I suspect there are lots of dead spots under the driftwood which the water flow/ my siphon can't reach, so I thought a twin head would be quite suitable.

i guess

i have one, a sun sun, very good,and very poweful.

it will certainly create current in the tank.

Time for the aro to do some resistance training haha! My aro loves current. He will swim under the return pipe or the garden hose during WC, reminds me of a dog biting the wind from a fan lol.. So cute, but so vicious lol. :roll:

haha

the obsession tapers off, and becomes a slightly inclination to discuss aros:D

i just got my vip so im super excited.

but i have always been into aros. remember my first aro when i was 6, i did a wc, iw as in philippines, didnt age the water and died ... i tried to give it mouth to mouth lol lol

:sml1:

anyway, yeah, its ok to be obsessed, all good :happy1:

i cant stop thoughts of an xb lol

my brother actually got me into it, he has stopped now but im still carrying on and taken it to the next level.

same with cars, he stopped getting into them and i went up a notch, no anymore though, had to choose between fish and cars..... didnt win lotto you see :o

my brother actually got me into it, he has stopped now but im still carrying on and taken it to the next level.

same with cars, he stopped getting into them and i went up a notch, no anymore though, had to choose between fish and cars..... didnt win lotto you see :o

Having a lady around doesn't help either! :sml1: But I've got nothing on my fiance, I spend about 200% more on fish than she does on clothes lol!

thats right

when it comes to the hobby, we spend way more, not just on fish but on the ongoing costs too!

eye fillet is cheaper than hikari:D

lol, I rarely ever treat myself to an eye fillet but never bat an eyelid when buying fish food.. Quite sad really, lol! &c:ry

funny

salmon fillets is extrremely good for arowana.

it has all the vitamins they need, good fats plus axanthin is high on them.

salmon when on sale is only 21.99 per kg, almost same price as prawn!! there is more axanthin in salmon than prawn!!

its all science, myth and legends from overseas that say PRAWN ONLY PRAWN ONLY is very much myth.

very interesting, at work i get bored at times so i just red nutritional data, man im a geek! :facepalm:

anyways

another interesting one (for those who care lol) ill type it out anyways

advantage crix versus locust

crix naturally has more calcium, but locust has more protein.

and crix can be gutloaded way easier.

but generally speaking, one or the other will have good benefits.

ATTENTION DAVID R:

answer for you

centipede APPARENTLY has a good advantage, centis are venomous, the venom apparently makes arowana red.

that is the reasoning behind it. to answer your question a few days back:D

now, here is the intersting part. Myth or fact?

well, centipede venom varies dramatically from species to species.

Now in asia, what species do they feed?

there are so may types.

venom is closely related to bees and wasps.

if you are allergic to them, then you will bea allergic to centis.

Some centis will kill, some will make you itch for days and weeks.

some will make you feel very uncomfortable, just like spiders and snakes.

so.... do we know what centipede really does?

the husk of a centipede is probably undigestible, but if its similar to prawn, then it may be of benefit. prawn shell actually has some goodies in it!

anyways, just intersting stuff:D

on a tangent

the red goes absolutely crazy wtih mealworms,

i took about 1000 mealworms and put it in a tub of pellets im not gonna use anymore, floating nls aro pellets, c gold and aqua one econo pellets.

so they are gutloaded and feed to aro as a last feed .... no matter how full it is, it will consume it.

seems worms is the aros absolute favourite!! not locusts lol

I wonder if removing the front stingers of a centipede would make it safe for aro consumption? TBH, I don't know where the venom producing glands are, but if they are near the head then removing it would guarantee the safety of the aro from potential poisoning. I don't know if there's anything in a centipede which makes an aro redder, but I guess it would be a good source of protein since it is part of the creepy crawly world.

well apparehtly, the POINSON is the key.

according to what i read, the poison in centis is what makes the aro red, so you DO want the poinson lol

i would be curious as to the scientific backing behind it or is it myth and legend