Light Fittings in Wellington

Hammerhead

Hi

Is there anywhere in Wellington that has a reasonable range of T5 light fittings suitable for aquariums. My current T8's are nearing replacement after about 9-10 years so I'm going to upgrade to T5's after having just recently installed pressurised CO2 to my tank.

I have looked in Animates in Lower Hutt and Kaiwharawhara as well as the Pet Centre in the Hutt but they only have one model of T5 which is not suitable. I would prefer 2x light fittings approx 90cm long with twin tubes. Need a relatively low profile unit to fit under the tank hood. There are some available on Trademe but the vendors tend to use brochure type photos and I prefer to look at the units personally to ensure they will be suitable for my requirements.

Yes I could make my own but for the mucking around involved to achieve the result I want it's really not worth it to me.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the replies but as I said above the one T5 model they had at Animates and the Pet Centre is unsuitable. They only had one example at each store as well so it seems funny to me that they only selling that one at 30% off unless they plan on getting more stock in.

When I look on Trademe there are quite a range of brands and models available and most of them appear to be from retail stores selling on Trademe unfortunately they all seem to be situated around Auckland.

What about that big outfit that used to be in Palmerston North? Can't remember the name it's been so many years since I visited it. Do they sell lighting there? Might be an excuse to go for a drive one Saturday morning.

Maybe you didn't look carefully enough? The Pet Centre has the 3 different common sizes of T5 light hood (24w, 39w, and 54w) and at least 2 of each (I was in looking at them in the Porirua shop on Saturday and the Hutt shop on Sunday). They also have at least 1 each of the ballast units. Tube wise they have all sizes and minimum 2 of each, life-glo, Power-glo and Marine-glo, and reflectors for each size.

Anything they don't have can be ordered in at the same discount if it's Glo brand, you just need to ask one of the staff members.

Shops don't usually stock more than one brand cause of the large over head and small amount they sell, but anything can be ordered in if its available.

Thanks but I'm pretty sure my glasses are working Ok unless the stores keep their light fittings in 2 different areas of the store. When I looked there was one model of light fitting labelled T5 and another model of which there were 3 different sizes all labelled T8 which is not what I want. Yes they do have a good range of tubes however I want a complete light fitting. True, light fittings can be ordered in but they won't order unless I am committing to purchase the item and if that's the case then I may as well buy one of the units on Trademe. I have limited space under my tank hood so I want to ensure that the unit I buy is going to be suitable for the purpose hence I am asking if there is anywhere in Wellington that has a range of light fittings that I can look at in person. From what I have seen The Pet Centre and Animates only stock one model of T5 light fitting and regardless of the length and the power rating of the unit it is not going to be suitable for my application, I.E. it sits too high. I'm not really bothered about discounts etc. A discount is no use if the light fitting is not suitable.

Admittedly I have not looked at The Pet Centre in Porirua as I live in the Hutt and work in town however I think it is reasonable to assume that they would stock the same model as the Lower Hutt store unless someone tells me different.

i was in the pet centre yesterday and thought there had to be a better range of the tubes as i could see heaps of the T8 sizes but only a couple of the T5's - i was about to walk away and ask for the size tube i wanted when i found most of the T5's were directly behind me in the same isle but not next to each other - did you notice them there ?