Fish food for my African Cichlids

bigfishhead

Could any one tell me where I can buy cheap and good qulity flakes or pallet for my african cichlids? :sage:

As my fish grows they eat a lot... It is a bit expensive to buy in petshop with no promotions on.

I see quite a few people sell fish food on trademe. But not sure which one is good.

Any ideas guys? :digH:

NLS in a 2.27kg bucket works out really cheap per gm and it is good quality too.. If you want to go on the cheap then buy the spirulina flake off trademe, it will turn your water green though and your fish wont go as well as they will on NLS. Maybe even make your own frozen foods..

I use a combination of NLS, spirulina flake and frozen foods. Ive got five african tanks on the go, if you buy the bigger jars of nls will work out great value for the quality you are getting. I also use the odd fruit and vege as a treat!

Thanks Ryan!

This one is so cheap! US$50 for 2.27KG Can I just order online and ship to NZ?

http://www.kensfish.com/newlifespectrum.html

Also some Cichlid food on trademe looks ok. Anyone of you guys tried them before? Are they ok?

trademe.co.nz/Pets-animals/Fish/Fish-food/auction-376676948.htm

trademe.co.nz/Pets-animals/Fish/Fish-food/auction-376111379.htm

:digH: :digH:

The price does double with shipping.. But if you get a few people together the shipping price decreases, select some and continue to check out and then change the number ordered to get the prices etc.

I tried the cichlidgold and it was ok, my fish didn't really seem to like it and I think it was floating. I am also very wary of trying new foods because I don't want to bloat my fish, the Hikari is good food haven't used it with africans so not sure how it would work out for them but does have a good rep. I would just buy a few different things and feed in moderation, you have seen how many tanks I have and despite the cost I end up going back to NLS. Another option would be this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pets-animals/Fish/Fish-food/auction-376171385.htm which is a good food.

lol been up since 6 :) Check on here sometimes at work... Make sure you post back and let everyone know what you choose. Also you haven't really talked about what african cichlids you keep? Diet can be different for different types, some are vegos some are predators..

For your mix you really need to go for something like NLS which is suitable for vegos and predators you have a big mix there, you can also use some vege based foods to mix it up a bit. I have used all sorts of foods in moderation with no issues in all my tanks but the tropheus ones, but I do know a good breeder who feeds all his fish (even tropheus) on a high quality standard flake with no issues.

I mainly feed my malawis with JBL NovoRift.

Sometimes I feed them with flakes, because when I feed them with JBL, they nip/swallow the sticks then spit them back out as if they don't like the taste. Does anyone know why they might do that? I thought it could be because the sticks are too hard, because sometimes i see them eating the food after it's gotten softer in the water.