Arowana breeding

MalcolmX

Too many possibilities for us to speculate I reckon.. Like you mentioned, maybe they got really lucky with a pair that didn't rip each other to shreds? They must have a hell of an eye for sexing arowanas, 'cos I'm not even sure if there are any visible differences between male and female (to my knowledge).. Or, maybe they bought a pair from a breeder? Probably very unlikely, but some people might have means..? People in Asia with big ponds in their backyards probably have the best chance of identifying a pair from juveniles and then removing them to a living room tank to spawn I reckon. But then again, a living room is probably not the best place for a spawning. There's a youtube video in Thailand I think where they have a hidden camera inside the tank and it's really dark because it's a concrete pond, so it always seemed to me that arowanas preferred privacy during their spawning, but I dunno, maybe living rooms work just as well? :dunno:

yea i thought they liked it dark and quiet too, but one of those videos has kids tv programs on and in the other sounds like young children in the background. in 2003 a guy claimed the first tank breeding arowana, but he just got a pair from a pond who had already breed. so these guys could have just done that too.

or they may be using hormones.

if you bought two fish off your dealer chances are they would be siblings, then you just have to hope there a male and female.

Interesting. There's a long article from a guy who tank bred his online somewhere. Their courting went on for months. He took some pics and fed them live goldfish leading up to the spawn. Apparently the eggs were the size of golf balls.

That gold cross-back sounds good! pics? :)

PS great to hear some fish are going back into the wild!