Bought a 6 foot tank-help on stocking

reptilez

Hi,

MTS has setted in...just bought a 1.8m x 60cm x 60cm tank

Questions-

1)Can someone explain how to do a sump...as i want to do one?

2)i want to have a arowana in it,is it a good size tank?

3)WHat arowana should i get...green..jardini..or black-pros and cons of each

thanks heaps Matthew

sumps are very easy, I will explain the most simple version I know of.

Get 2 sheets of glass and cut them to the same width as the tank, and about an inch less then the depth. Place the first divider raised off the bottom about half an inch gap, the second divider seal to the bottom. Leave enough room in each partition to get your hand easily down. Silicone to seal.

Media in the partitions, and a return pump in the refugium. Couldn't be easier.

Hardest part would be drilling the tank I guess.

Quick drawing below, dont do the art thing very often so it best be good enough.

basicsump.jpg

I dont agree with keeping an aro in a tank this size, I have kept one before in a same sized tank, it wasn't anywhere fully grown but I felt guilty about it a bit. Minimum IMO should be 180L X 70H X 80D, the aro can reach 60cm and it doesn't look right in a tank the same width as its body length. Search around on the forum for henwards RTG tank - suitable sized tank there, and his RTG is a fat...one :lol:

Get bichirs 8) :roll: and some nice BIG cichlids + BGK + eel etc. Whatever you like really, oh yeah and not a clown knife, even worse than the aro, gets waaaay too big and is not very flexible.

Bichirs are and will be the best! :wink:

pacu way too big. don't get ornates or dehezi they will get too big like an aro. Stick to senegals. It would be nice to go south east asain with the tank. Smaller fish species look much better in a large tank IMO, if you can pull yourself away from wanting the monster fish you will end up with a stunning tank. Large schools of tiger barbs for example, with some loaches on the bottom, clowns might be too big. Striata perhaps would be a better option.

Even the smallest aro will be too big for that tank IMO, you want to provide your fish with a good life, not just a life.

pacu way too big. don't get ornates or dehezi they will get too big like an aro. Stick to senegals. It would be nice to go south east asain with the tank. Smaller fish species look much better in a large tank IMO, if you can pull yourself away from wanting the monster fish you will end up with a stunning tank. Large schools of tiger barbs for example, with some loaches on the bottom, clowns might be too big. Striata perhaps would be a better option.

Even the smallest aro will be too big for that tank IMO, you want to provide your fish with a good life, not just a life.

Definately not pacu.

No aro especially not silver and blacks, why invest in an asian one if you cannot house it to the best standard.

I would disagree with nymox there on the bichirs, I'd say you can keep the dels and the ornates and sens fine in that size tank, the footprint is fine and mine is about the same size and my bichirs are totally great in that.

But stick to one ornate i think.

Henwards pacu are still way too big, I visit him occaisionally and they are one of the biggest and most active fish you will get here, they almost have more presence than the aro in the tank they are that active. + they are not 20cm more like 30-40cm disk.