kiwipetes marine set-up

kiwipete

I have followed these forums for some time now, but only the tropical fresh water side.

Since the Christchurch earthquake in February where I lost my entire 200L fresh water set-up, I am now thinking of starting a fresh with a marine set-up.

I will slowly gather all required equipment over the next 4 or so months before I do any more, have mid year holidays to get out of the way first.

I think I will stick with the similar size tank and custom build a cabinet to suit. This all depends where my wife will allow me to place it too.

I have just read the entire 'beginners guide' at the start of this forum and found it so informative.

Oh and I will also start a build thread as I go too.

No doubt there will be millions of questions fired at you all as I start and get this project under way.

Q1~Is the surface area of the marine tank as important as the likes of a tropical fresh water tank? I am asking this as I am unsure of the total size area I will have to build and place the set-up.

it is as important as a marine tank will have high oxygen needs and live rock produces nitrogen gas which will need to be dissapated however a good skimmer and circulation pumps will help out a lot with oxygen exchange so its not too much of a consideration as long long as its stocked accordingly to the surface area. perhaps a more important consideration is depth for light penetration i.e a tall tank may look good but will need higher powered lighting to reach near the bottom with useful PAR

it is as important as a marine tank will have high oxygen needs and live rock produces nitrogen gas which will need to be dissapated however a good skimmer and circulation pumps will help out a lot with oxygen exchange so its not too much of a consideration as long long as its stocked accordingly to the surface area. perhaps a more important consideration is depth for light penetration i.e a tall tank may look good but will need higher powered lighting to reach near the bottom with useful PAR

Thanks Spoon, I was thinking of going back to an octagonal tank, but this is now out of the question. Maybe a corner tank?

Good to see you are merely changing direction and not giving up :hail:

For sure Caryl, I just need to wait till later in the year before I commit, mid year holiday in Raro to get out of the way. :wink: Could I smuggle some fish/coral back. 8)

PS I must say I was rather depressed with it all when I saw the devastation.

Everything that is salvageable will be given away when I get it all sorted. Time to start afresh.

Was chatting to the fella in Organisms today and he suggested I might like to think about a "Red Sea Max 130D" tank set-up as a first marine tank.

I looked it up on the "Net" and it seems like a quite nice and compact system, no need to custom build anything for a beginner.

What is/are your opinions on this tank?