INFO ON ANEMONE PLEASE!

cracker

Hoping for some experienced advice from you guys.

Been running a new tank for about 3-4 months. Everything good.

Nitrate never over 40, at 15 at the moment.

All other levels ok.

introduced a new Blue tang 2 odd weeks ago. She got whitespot due to travel and decided to hand some to the other tank mates!

I have used garlic, (A bit of juice directly in the tank, plus garlic in the food for about 4 days). (This has been for about 8 or 9 days now).

I also was told and read that "Melafix" is reef safe and good for general healing etc. I have dosed with this and some "Stop Parasite" from Salifert, (Reef safe also).

Since doing these dosings, my large LTA has been doing some weird and ugly things. (Pics below).

Picture002Custom.jpg

Picture044Custom.jpg

Picture014Custom.jpg

It also did a tiny Poo!

Today I have done 25% water change and added polymer resin to remove any other crap.

Hey Pies,

As in getting pulled in or from excessive current movement?

That what you mean?

My pumps are anemone proofed and well hidden behind walls.

No chance of getting sucked up!

The current surrounding the anemone is softly but firm.

perfect as far as I can see.

Wahtya think?

Yeah beware of them getting sucked into the power heads, shreds them, kills them and often poisons the tank and may take other animals with them thats all.

If your confident that they can't get in there, sleep well :)

Anemones can be hard to keep long term, lots of light, current and pristine water conditions. Some say target feed, I NEVER feed mine, all are over 12 months old. Don't know how happy they are, hard to tell :)

Piemania

Honestly, it doesn't look very healthy.

More pics might make it easier. It did look a little limp, which could mean not enough current (you can't over do it).

Concentrate on water paramaters, get everything stable. There doesn't appear to be much life on your rock (its all white), so I assume your tank is still cycling, in which case nitrates are bad for the nem. Water changes, stability, not much more can be done. Avoid over interfaring.

Got heaps of light? They love light, mine used to sit about 2 inches from the surface, under a 250watt halide and had a 12000 litre an hr pump pointing at it, this made it happy.

good luck

Pie

I think it's the Melifix It might say reef safe, but I don't think Anemones like it<> I would do some water changes and don't feed it. And stop using that white spot stuff, Let it recover by its self with water changes.

How is the one I gave you.

Flag the melafix, it won't help with the white spot, and will annoy your skimmer. Best treatment for mild whitespot is to do nothing.

The melafix may be annoying your anemone too. I suspect if you stop adding melafix and the salifert stuff, all will come right given time. More flow will probably help (even if you think you don't have enough) I've got two 6100 streams in a 6 foot tank alternating flat out, and I still think some corals would do better with more flow.

I don't have a lot of experience with anemones, I have one, but have never had a problem with it, (other than it growing too big too fast!)

Layton