How do to transter goldfish from outdoor pond to indoor tank

wonderfulguppy

Goldfish often don't make the transition from a larger pond to a smaller tank successfully.

How large is the pond?

What size and type of goldfish are the fish?

How many do you plan to move to the tank?

Is there a time limitation?

Any way you can run the tank filter on the pond?

If so, run it on there one month to cycle it then transfer it, with the fish, to the tank.

If this is not possible;

I would set the tank up, using pond water, then add the filter and a fish or two to cycle for one month, then add another couple of fish. A lot depends on the answers to the above questions.

Goldfish often don't make the transition from a larger pond to a smaller tank successfully.

How large is the pond?

What size and type of goldfish are the fish?

How many do you plan to move to the tank?

Is there a time limitation?

Any way you can run the tank filter on the pond?

If so, run it on there one month to cycle it then transfer it, with the fish, to the tank.

If this is not possible;

I would set the tank up, using pond water, then add the filter and a fish or two to cycle for one month, then add another couple of fish. A lot depends on the answers to the above questions.

Someone is giving me their goldfish,but because I havent been to their place, I dont know how large the pond is. They are common goldfish and most of them havent changed to adult colour. I intend to move 5 to the tank. The tank is already filled with water with neons and platties in it currently. Before the neons, I had hundreds of guppies in the tank. The neons and the platties will be removed to another tank when the goldfish come home. Thank you for your interest to help. Cheers

All I can say is to give it a go and keep a close eye on the water parameters. For some reason small goldfish can be taken from a pond to tank but bigger ones have a lot more difficulty adjusting. Although you already have fish in the tank they will produce a lot less waste than goldfish (which are very messy) so the filter will need to build up a lot more good bacteria to process the wastes.

Be prepared to do a steady number of good sized water changes for a while once the fish are added to the tank.