Kribensis

fishgirl53

I would take the limestone out, I had a piece in a tank and it made the ph shoot up to over 8. Do not do a massive water change either, the rapid fluctuations in ph could be detrimental to the fish.

There are thousands of different cichlids they all prefer different water conditions, rift lake african cichlids prefer a higher ph and harder water, while the river dwelling africans (like your kribs) prefer more neutral water. I to would remove the limestone and do a few water changes to try and bring the PH down, I don't think it will kill them providing you acclimatise them slowly but it is just not ideal for them.

Well I have got my Kribs baby ones I didn't take out the lime stone I put the Kribs in the water still in their bag left them in there for 2.5hrs I done a 20% water change and put in 2 cup fulls of my water in their water bag which that water was 7.5 mine is between 8 and 8.2 I just hope they live I don't care if they don't breed how long will it take for them to get use to the higher PH or when will I see signs of them not being well thank you Joy

Yeah they will be fine short term but it does have long term affects on their health because they haven't evolved to handle those amounts of minerals in the water.. End of the day you would question if it does really matter, I would guess that most of our fish don't live long enough to actually be affected by these long term issues.

Ok can you tell me about rainbow boesemani their Ph I see is around 7 but I have done some reserch on them and some sites say a ph of 7 even less or can go to 8 and in the wild they come from a river with a ph of 9 to 9.5 how do you figure that one out