Borneo Tiger feeding help/recommendation's

b16a2

Hi guys, relatively new to fish keeping so i'm trying to learn as much as possible so hopefully a few of you could help me out with a few options. Have had my borneo tiger for a couple of months, is pretty healthy but im trying to get him on a higher protein diet. He eats bloodworms sweet but i know there nutritionally void as there 90%+ moisture. Have tried prawns since ive had him but with no luck and also small live insects etc.

Just want to know if anyone has or currently owns a borneo tiger and what foods they use to feed or what could be a good option to try?

My AT gets fed hikari gold, JBL novosticks - he goes mad for tetra cichlid Jumbo sticks. You can also try finely cubed or grated ox heart and also earth worms. I'd go easy on the ox though i usually only fed my AT it once or twice a week.

I have a rule

if the borneo tiger does not eat pellets or shrimp. i dont buy it

training borneo tigers are slightly more difficult than other fish say cichlids.

They are picker and tend to be fond of a particular food.

you are right, bloodworms are useless food, more of a treat than anything or large masses of it can be good. but expensive.

anyway

i woulds uggest starve it immediately and feed it prawn and or pellets. OR feel it sinking carnivore pellets.

they are small enough to swallow even by small borneo tigers (tiger dats)

once you have it in a pellet diet, it will grow fast, and be very active.

people say that dats are slow growing but this is false, they are only slow growing when fed low protein food.

I got my AT (american dat) to full size in less than 3 years. My indo got to 12 inches in about 2 years. actually, it got massive quickly then tapered in growth as most fish do.

i suggest o start feeding it pellets, and stop bloodworms, at the very least, you should get it into UNCOOKED prawns with no shell. Cook prawns may not be good, in my experience and from what i read - prawns meat changes when cooked and can be harder to digest, causing death and blockage.

Prawn is easy to train, but if you calculate protein content, nutrient by weight - prawn is the same price as pellets. prawn is only 13% to 16% protein. NO fat, not much vits.

Pellets like sinking carnivore or better yet MASSIVORE, (hollywood fish farm stock massivore delight by hikari and will ship) they are even better.

I can personally vouch for the massivore.

Pellets like sinking carnivore or better yet MASSIVORE, (hollywood fish farm stock massivore delight by hikari and will ship) they are even better.

I can personally vouch for the massivore.

Hikari sinking carnivore and massivore actually have the exact same analysis so I think the difference is only in the size of the pellets.

Sinking carnivore would probably be a smaller investment for you to try out on the BT before moving on to massivore when it's bigger.

Cheers for all the help so far guys, ill be ordering some hikari pellets through work asap and will be semi starving the bt until they arrive which shouldn't be to much of a wait. haha thought the username might be a bit strange on a fish forum lol. Yeah the tank's only 320L so at some stage ill have to either upgrade (which is the ideal plan) or move him on to someone with a larger tank.

I'm still trying prawns but same results as from day one, was thinking of maybe giving seachem's garlic guard a go to help entice him eating the prawns, anyone have any comments on this product? id say if its anything like the quality of their prime and stability products then it should be at least worth trying...