In line reactor

Angus

Hi all long time no post. I've just replaced one ehiem filter for another (2215 to 2073), and i've had to change the pipe fittings on my in-line CO2 reactor to compensate for the change in pipe diameter. I've had the reactor placed horizontally in the input line since inception, but i'm now considering placing it vertically in the output line, having read more recent online plans etc. However i'm running short of a bit of pipe, and the horizontal position solves my dilemma (could always buy more pipe! :roll: ). My question is: Does anyone have any idea of whether or not one is more efficient over the other at dissolving the CO2 i.e horizontal vs vertical? (My reactor contains sponge inserts to increase water turbulence)

From what I have read the vertical option makes more sense with the co2 going in at the top and water flowing from top to bottom - in theory the co2 won't get out the bottom unless it's desolved into the water as it'll try to fight the water by floating up the cannister.

It's now on my list of things to build and I'll be going vertical on mine with a few bio balls or noodles in the tube.

• 2 weeks later...

works best with the co2 entering at bottom not top (through a tube piercing the top but running to the bottom) and a feed back loop to remove excess gas build up helps a lot.

I bought one of these, works great but isnt that hard to make one yourself have since made a couple for my fish room plant tubs.

lg_13995_FS21193P.jpg

CO2 Inlet is the small one on the left, if you look closely there is a black tube running from it down through the clear tube to the bottom of the reactor, means the bubbles 'bubble' up agaisnt the water flow.

Middle fitting is the water flow, in at top out at bottom.

Right side fitting is the outlet for a bleed valve to bleed off air on filling and excess CO2, you can use a small tap or you can feed it via air line tubing to the intake of the pump provideing water, that way any extra CO2 is smashed up by the pump impeller before being sent back to the reactor.

Thanks Fugly - awesome info! I like the clear tube so you can see how efficient it is. My pvc pipe makes it a blind system. :roll:

I've ended up plumbing the gas into the side near the top. I gone without bio balls or sponges inside so I didn't want to risk the CO2 being carried away by the flow if I put the line in at the bottom. Once up and running I realised I had a leak in the old diy bubble counter that resulted in the gas not having enough pressure to flow into the reactor, but once I built a new better counter (without a leak :oops: ) everything is working fine.

Different systems to achieve the same result?

Yes finding leaks can be a pain as they often dont occur untill the pressure builds, other thing I forgot to metion is make sure you have a check (non return) valve on the CO2 inlet so water can't be pumped back down the hose and into your regulator if the CO2 pressure drops (usually when the CO2 tank runs empty)

All sorted thanks. Actually got two plastics in the line; one in the airline itself just before the reactor, and one in the bottom (input) end of the new diy bubble counter. Given the probable short life time of the plastic check valves, I'll be upgrading soon. Are the brass check valves recommended?