Optimum Number of Dwarf Gourami for a 34 liter tank...

Funkytown

Um, the question is in the subject line...

ie. What is the optimum number of dwarf gourami in a 34 liter tank?

I wanted to get a couple of Corys or similar, and a number (6?) of tetras, and at first I thought 2 dwarf gouramis. I've since heard that two can be aggressive to each other, and (thanks Caryl) that a greater number of fish can spread that angry energy around to safer levels. Then again, I don't want to stress them by having too many for my small tank.

Hence the question...

Is it better to get 3-5, or just one? Opinions please! ;)

Tank is/will be fairly heavily planted.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian

In my AR380 I used to have a pair of Honey Gouramies - shy but a beautiful yellow colour; one dwarf Gourami and one Cobalt Blue dwarf Gourami, three Guppies and a few Bristlenoses. I don't think they were overcrowded but the Dwarfs do bicker a bit with each other, nothing major though. I've read that the Honeys like to nibble on plants but I didn't see them or have any problems with that.

They didn't seem to mind about the water condition as I had a problem with PH getting low everyday after I added a new piece of driftwood. They are now in my AR980 community tank with all sorts and holding their own even against the larger Silver Dollars - which are going next week btw!