Curbing wild dwarf gourami aggression!

Funkytown

Hey fullas,

Getting further along the fish selection progression, and them thar' dwarf go-ram-eez sher are purdy lookin'!

Yee-ha! :roll:

I was told by the lfs that siblings can sometimes be a little mean towards each other if in a pair, and a way to avoid this is by getting quite a few, or getting another type of gourami. Is this true? I was thinking of having a couple in my tank. Is it best to get a dwarf and a cobalt/royal blue or royal red one instead of two of the same? Does it matter? Will they still interact with their 'feelers'?

I'm thinking of scrapping the livebearer idea, and getting a small group of tetras (6?), and a couple of small corys (peppered?). How many gouramis could I have in a 34 litre tank? What's the plural of gourami? ;)

I'm talkin' the cobalt/royal blue, royal red, dwarf gourami here, if it makes a difference.

Sweet,

Brian

Did you know your accent shows when you're excited? :lol:

Dwarf gourami colours do not make a difference except when they breed. The parents' colour affects that of the fry of course. They will still interact. Think of them as blondes, red heads etc. All the same except for hair colour.

I never found dwarf gouramis to be aggressive but some of the larger ones are (like the blue and 3 spot gouramis). A group is always better as the aggression (if there is any) is then spread out over several fish rather than the only other inhabitant being harassed all the time.

The number you can have depends on your filtration and maintenance schedule.

I find that all of the dwarf gouramis will get along fine, unless a female is introduced. then all of the males will begin to scrap over her. this is not normally a problem, as the females are very difficult to get. they are not sold in petstores, and speculation on why this may be is likely to get me into trouble.

generally they are less showy than the males, and that would put alot of customers off buying, so shops don't like to stock them. But what I was trying to say was that when I started to search for female dwarfs, and I placed an order at a couple of my LFS they got rejected by the wholesalers.

CarrieJ - I found a few female Cobalt Blue Dwarf Gouramies today and I wasn't even looking!

They were selling them in pairs but I got down on my hands & knees :hail::hail::hail: and begged them for just a female and got one!

I'm not surprised they don't sell well although she is a cutie, a lot smaller than the male at the moment but she's definately not shy, she's silver with some blue when she's in the right light.

If anyone in Auckland wants to know where PM me.

Yes please CarrieJ. Mind you I wasn't planning on breeding her, was going to leave that up to them, if it happens it happens if it doesn't it doesn't.

But I would like to hear about your breeding methods, how about starting off a new subject for it?