Newbie Q, to fertilize or not...

Funkytown

Hey guys,

Recently aquired an AquaOne 380 tank setup, 34litres and whatever light/filter it comes with. I've put $12 worth of cheapy plants from the lfs in it; grassy-looking types. I'm not particularly attached to the plants, but I don't want them dying and stinking up my tank, nor do I want to have to replace them in the near future, so...

Are most lfs sourced grassy-type plants pretty hardy? Will they get enough nutrients from the stuff in the tank (once its stocked) to keep from turning brown and dying, or do I really need to add something to keep them alive/growing?

If its a matter of buying a little bottle of something and adding some to the tank once a week or so, or if I notice they look a little off colour, sweet as. Is there a danger of over doing it? Is it best just to see how things go and wait if any symptoms occur, or should I take pre-emptive action? If I was to add something, I'd like a one-stepper type product. I'm not interested in testing levels. I'm still getting used to the idea of keeping fish. ;)

No CO2 or fancy lights or anything like that. I'm not particularly interested in fantastic growth, I just want easy and alive-looking (and not plastic, smart-aleks ;) ).

Thanks,

Brian

I think they will probably grow, although it will be slower. Many plants need iron so if you get a fertiliser make sure it has iron in it - and no phosphates. From what I understand, phosphates will encourage algae growth.

I have some chelated iron donated to me by Cees, and I've made up a very diluted solution which I use to dose the tank daily - just one drop a day. I do this in all the tanks, including the ones with only gravel and UG filters and the plants are growing slowly.

Cheers

The usual reason for needing to add fertiliser is if the plants are lacking in trace elements (iron being the one all the aquarium fertilisers advertise). When the plants are new they have a good stock of them, so for now there is no need for fertiliser. If you have very few fish in the tank then nitrates may also be a problem, but this is also unlikely if I remember your plans correctly. So for now don't do anything.

You may want to add fertiliser later if:

a) They start developing brown patches (I'm thinking of leaves here, I don't know how to describe it with grassier plants) develop holes, etc. This is a sign of a nutrient or trace-element deficiency.

b) You really want more growth, You will find they do an initial growth spurt and then slow down, you may become disatisfied after that. However there are two other things which may be missing: light and CO2. Being a small, and therefore reasonably shallow tank, light shouldn't be a big problem. CO2 is relatively simple, but by that stage it is a sign you are beginning to get obsessive.

Another word of warning: I have found that some plants just refuse to grow while those around them are growing a centimeter a day. Rather than try and figure out why I have just replaced them with plants that like my tank. A new plant is cheaper than a bottle of fertiliser.

Hi Spooky, your comment about growing more of what does well in your tank made me laugh because that's exactly what I do in my garden - and its what I plan to do with my tank. I figure if I muck around trying to get the conditions right for a 'difficult' plant, it might adversely affect the ones that are doing well. :D:D:D

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly to do easy planted is EASY, here is what I do which is almost no maintenenance and very very simple.

Heavy planting reduces algae problems but keep a supply of housekeeping fishes also (bristlenose, corydoras & flying foxes).

I fertilize irregularly (sometimes weekly sometimes bi-monthly) with either liquid "Flourish" or "Leaf Zone". I also use various slow release "Root Tabs" and also baked red clay balls (which generally disintegrate cause I cant bake em hot enough) at a fairly concentrated level.

I also have 3 Nutrafin CO2 units on this tank but will be raiding one for another 200 liter system later today (main tank about 400 liter).

Bonus fertilizer: Fish poo.

Main tank dimensions: 1200mm x 550mm x 650mm approx.

Lighting: Can never seem to get enough. Currently 4x 3 foot tubes (various types as that seems to work for me). 11 hours per day.

Since I never used to have much luck with explosive plant growth, I figured the above worth a try.

Its going nuts, I have to remove stupid amounts of surface plant weekly.

I have plants which I started with 1 of that now are everywhere (I started this system about 14 months ago) & others which I cant name that flower constantly.

Yeah well... obsessive maybe but well worth the obsession.

The goal: Planted systems which rival those of Takeshi Armano (If you haven't seen his work its definately a "must see").

Not quite there yet but all are thickening up very very nicely (I keep raiding for plants for other tanks which doesn't help).

Sorry no digital camera so I cant post pics, something I'm working on but have yet to find someone with the equipment that can do it justice.

I'm not in a hurry for photos just yet, when the tanks are ready I'll probably get professional photos done.

Awkward plants:

This tank seems to be able to grow almost everything I throw in it (oh also has lots of wood & peat occasionally).

There are several species of plant I've got in this tank which wont grow in any of my other tanks.

Crypt is slow but healthy.

Ferns are starting to do well.

NB: due to the heavy planting there are lots of dark areas created which the ferns seem to appreciate.

Fish stock level: Medium / high.

Substrate: Gravel.

The one thing I have the most trouble with is Amazon Sword plants. I was told the species I have should only get 450mm high, yeah well think again... try over 630mm high plus they stick out the top of the water hard up against the glass lids (I think given a chance they'd just keep going up).

The lower leaves have a little difficulty & tend to go lace like which I haven't managed to prevent totally yet (root tabs helped).

The 3 largest Amazon swords I've had to top completely as they were simply too massive (each leaf stem almost as round as my finger at the base).

Any suggestions re: these swords would be great.

Strange thing too some which appear to be the same species as the biggest but are very very healthy & super short.

Plants can either look bad & be a pain in the arse if badly done or if you choose species carefully & give them just a teeny bit of care can be almost no work & look amazing.

My best advice for easy good looking planted: Avoid stem cutting plants, they're too much work (Granted they do look wicked when they're right).

I've had planted off & on for years they did ok now they do... amazingly.

I've planted almost everything I could lay my hands on but have found ground cover / wood cover plants harder to come by.

Planting method (mine): make picture in head with what you've got, then make it real. Remember to plan for future growth is very important.

Priority: welfare of plants and animals, everything else is secondary.

If you plant what you have to where you have to so it'll work the rest will fall into place as you gapfill.

I plant back first to groundcover in front (ground cover I use short Vallisanaria which is going mental).

Largest bare area of main system: too small for a small coffee cup except under wood.