KOURA

Sam Newman

Koura.jpg Koura1.jpg Koura2.jpg Koura3.jpg

I harvested a few Koura the other night. Ate a few and kept the two biggest ones alive in a tank. They seam happy enouf, altho when I got up this morning, I did notice they had escaped and gone for a little walk along the bench. What should I feed them? I know they eat leaves etc and the odd piece of dead animal in the wild. I see the farm in Kaikoura uses some type of fishmeal from salmon and other fish biproducts. Is there something I should buy or will they be happy to share my sausage and lettuce? I understand a high protien diet helps them to grow quickly. How much running water do they require? I have no power but I am able to set up something 12V. I also have a little stream. Can I build a big fine mesh cage for them to go in? What about a bath tub with netting over it and a hose running to it? Any advice or tips for keeping Koura as pets and possably breeding them would be appreciated. Cheers. :happy1:

How big is the tank and how warm is it going to get? 2 big Koura usually mean one ends up lunch unless theres ALOT of room and places to hide.

As I understand it they are detritus feeders, algae and plant matter for energy, protein for growth. I have fed my Koura in the pond raw chicken and beef and it doesn't last long! I've seen Koura scoop up chunks half their size and RUN! for their cave. So funny to watch.

P.

They adore peas! Try them with various (uncooked) vegies and see what they like.

Mine also got ox heart and earthworms (both being what I was feeding the fish) and will happily munch any sinking fish food.

They are expert escape artists, so make sure there is a lid.

Preacher is right about the temperature and lunch issues.

With your stream, you could simply take to doing regular feedings at the same spot and get to know the locals ;) Ox heart is good for this (cheap and easy, butmake sure you are careful to cut off all the fat).

Thanx for the advice. I agree that they need a lid. Very funny to watch them trying to escape tho. Sounds like they'd be relatively cheap to feed. Will the small ones eat eachother? Maybe the big ones could be paird up male and female in their own tanks until they are in bery? I understand they do this around April, May. If I made a big enuf cage, could I have several areas sectiond off to put the same sizes together. Do you think that would work? The farms must do something to keep them from eating eachother? I have no intention to ever sell them. Just want a food source at home. :happy2: