Deciphering fish behaviour

LoveArowanas

1) I have 5 glowlight tetras, for some reason 4 of the 5 suddenly start chasing the 5th (biggest one) around the tank constantly. Any clues as to why this is? Im guessing its pregnant?

2) I have 2 Dwarf Gournamis. occassionally they poster where they take turns at attacking the others tail. Are they fighting ....or mating?

3) I have two purple bellied Kribensis. One albino. The non albino is pretty aggro and seems to control the tank. he wouldnt have anything to do with the Albino and would just chase it around. However when i put one of those sunken WW 2 planes in the tank. They seem to cohabitate in there quite nicely and I hardly ever see the purple one chasing the albino anymore. Whats happening here. Kribensis's need a house to get along?

:love:

I wouldn't call it pregnant, I'm pretty sure tetras are egg scatterers and don't carry any live young, but the bigger one's probably a female while the small ones may be males. They probably just want to get in on some action :lol:.

As for the gouramis I reckon it could be anything really, it could be aggression, interest in mating, or just a bit of fun chasing each other's tails, but from what I know gourami are similar to bettas, they make bubble nests if they are in the mood to breed, and involve the male wrapping around the female when the fish are ready.

As for kribs, I don't know a single thing about them :P.

i have two dwarf gouramis and every evening after they go through this little ritual... they start slapping each other with their tails. They are side by side, but opposite directions (head /tail) It's so funny. Don't know what it's about . But they have never hurt the other.

The rest of the time they just swim around not bothering each other or anyone.

i have two dwarf gouramis and every evening after they go through this little ritual... they start slapping each other with their tails. They are side by side, but opposite directions (head /tail) It's so funny. Don't know what it's about . But they have never hurt the other.

The rest of the time they just swim around not bothering each other or anyone.

^^^ A much better description of what I was talking about. It is quite amusing

When I had baby Texas Chiclids in my tank, my Gouramis used to rip up all the grass I had planted at the bottom, and place it all togther in the far corner of the tank, all matted togther, at the surface. I would catch the little buggers at it all the time. :facepalm:

Now I have got rid of the chiclids before they got too big, no more attacking the grass. I guess it was some sort of measure to make them feel safer? Cant see how though

Thinking the tetras through a little more ....it doesnt really make sense from a specied survival POV for the fish to harrass pregnant females. I guess desire to mate is more logical