Time for an introduction - Hello from CHCH

Carriej

Hi :D

We are Carrie and Tristan.

Have been members on here for a few months, but only made our first posts a few days ago.

We are fish breeders in CHCH. our focus is on community fish with an emphasis on gouramies.

We havent been going long, in fact we got our first fish tank in the beginning of april.

We now have 25 tanks, and thousands of fish. still a little confused about how things happened, but we are now one of the biggest private suppliers in CHCH, with contracts to several fish shops. and informal but strong connections with several other fish breeders in CHCH.

We spend all of our free time working on the tanks, seaching for new customers, and trying to fill in the knowledge gaps that are inevitable with moving so quickly.

We are interested in meeting any fish breeders in CHCH, or in the south island.

It is great that we have found this site, as our customers frequently come to us for advice, and although their questions are usually straitforward it will be great to have acess to more experienced fishkeepers.

I can email you a copy of my club's newsletter if you like Carrie. We have quite a few Canterbury members and will be heading your way in Feb to judge those entered in our club tank and pond competition. You would be welcome to join us. We have 11 tanks entered in Ashburton and am sure their will be some ChCh ones soon.

wow! what a way to get started, sounds like a dream come true

Thanks, I think we have been very lucky.... there seems to have been a space waiting to have been filled, and we kind of got drawn into it.... BTW how are things in timaru? are there many breeders down there, always looking for more fish, specifically corys, bristles, tetras will consider a meet and greet trip, and a bit of a spending spree through ashburton, timaru and possibly dunedin, if I can line up enough breeders and fish to justify the costs.

welcome :D

if you join a club you get a year book once a year and that has all the members names addresses and phone numbers oh and email if they have it, also we get a breeders year book showing who is breeding what.

even if you dont have a tank set up going on a tank and pond comps , Caryl is a great judge and will give you tips and also you can get ideas from other peoples tanks.

Their president can be hard to get hold of. Try the secretary, Linda, on 389 3137. Tell her you heard of the club in this website and that Caryl sent you :wink:

They meet 3rd Wed of the month at 7.30pm in the Sydenham Community Centre, 23 Hutcheson St. Their fees are $25 family; $20 single and $10 junior. We would love to see this club reinvigorated.

BTW how are things in timaru? are there many breeders down there, always looking for more fish, specifically corys, bristles, tetras will consider a meet and greet trip, and a bit of a spending spree through ashburton, timaru and possibly dunedin, if I can line up enough breeders and fish to justify the costs.

Don't know if there are many breeders down here, believe a lot of people go to christchurch for stock, much bigger selection than here.

Mark

MGilchrist wrote:

Don't know if there are many breeders down here, believe a lot of people go to christchurch for stock, much bigger selection than here.

If you know anyone who is on their way up here, give them our contact details. :D

I am getting a bit off track here though. :oops: this is not a sales forum, so I better cool it before I get told. 8)