media for ehiem 2260?

R32GOTMLK

I am yet to decide which bio media is the best I am pretty sure even the cheaper stuff would hold tons of bacteria.. It is a difficult one because the bacteria will only build up to a level to suit the bio load in the tank, you cannot see either of these things so how much do you need? You could spend tons of money filling this with the eheim stuff and not need it but never know.

I know that I have used the cheaper ceramic rings, pumice, terracotta beads (that you get for putting in pot plants) even just used filters with filter wool in big tanks and had no issues :) I think I have some of that eheim stuff mixed in with all the others too.

I have tried plastic bio balls - and i have nto like dthem as much.

i found they dont establish as quickly - and tolerance for high amonia spikes is less.

I found cemraic and sintered glasst ypes have best results.

I use both, only to use bio balls to space out the gaps and crreate mroe flow and oxygen i guess, and i got them free:D

but to me, aqua one cerami nood or fluval noodles is best - providing best results.

i can use a little and it goes a long way, while bio balls are cumbersome.

for sump set ups, bio balls are fine i think from what i have seen and experienced, but canisters, really, gotta go ceramic types.

also, the surface and internal surface of ceramic can harbour more surface dwelling bacteria, while bioballs are not as rough, making less surface for bacteria, scienctifically sound that theory i think