planted tank

nativelover

For the substrate, you can put JBL Aquabasis Plus underneath the top substrate. As others have said, Dalton's Propagating sand is good. Personally I just get beach sand (it has lots of ground-up shells in it), but I have a lot of bogwood in my tanks which helps lower the pH or something. JBL Aquabasis Plus is really good from what I've heard, plus it doesn't cost too much either. If you don't want Aquabasis, you can use root balls, but a nutritious substrate would be better, because then all the plants benefit. If you wanted to just use root balls, but give nutrients to all your plants, you'd need an awful lot of root balls. You can also use API laterite, in conjunction with the Aquabasis, which is rich in iron, so it's great for crypts and red plants. It's rather costly though. Dalton's Aquatic Mix is another option, but just make sure it doesn't get stirred up, or the water will be cloudy forever! Make sure you have a large layer of sand if you're using it. I've also heard of some people using mineralized topsoil.

Use DIY CO2 for your tank. It is GREAT for the plants. Use a Pollen Glass Nano diffuser to diffuse it sufficiently into the water.