URGENT: Is my guppy in labor?

breakaway

Whats wrong with the female guppy in the photo below?

guppybleeding2rb.jpg

You can see a little bit of blood in the guppy's stomach (some sort of red liquid that resembles blood.)

guppypoo5ca.jpg

And here is a bit of poo thats been hanging off the guppy for the past 1½ days. Why is this happening?

Is the guppy in labor?

Sorry to say but I think your guppy has "pine-cone disease", note how the scales are sicking out from her bidy on the underside in the pic.

Another term for PCD is dropsy,afraid there isn't much you can do for her, I'd suggest euthanisation, but what ever you do, put her away from other fish into Quarantine.

Do some research on the info I've given you.

Alan 104

• 2 weeks later...

I lost both my female guppies. I think its the water in the tank. I left it alone for like 5 days. At this time I was running the power filter in the other tank to cycle it quicker.

I realised that one of the male guppies had a massive tear in his tail, so I figured the culprit was the Siamese Fighter. I have sold the Siamese Fighter, so he is no longer a problem.

However, I transfered the males into the 25litre tank for holding temporarily until the fighter is picked up. Within 5 hours, the one with the tear in his tail was dead. The 2nd (and final) male guppy has lost his colouring, and his tail looks a lot less colourful than before. Also it is clamped. I started to worry, so I transfered the 2nd male back into the main tank with the fighter. Temporarily I hope he will be ok.

Any idea on whats causing this? Is it because I left the tank without a fish and filter for a few days? Does stagnant water cause problems for fish?

If so, I can drain and re-fill the tank.

Any Help Appreciated.

Last night I found the second guppy with clamped fins, so I transfered him back into the 55L community tank. He was gasping for air, and it looked like he only had a few hours at the most.

But this morning all that has changed, his colours have returned (almost), he is showing off his tail. Im beginning to think its something in the water of the other tank.

Any Ideas?

I'm not sure I understand the situation correctly, but I would have thought that without a filter or any other high-surface area places for bacteria to build up then ammonia levels would rise rather quickly. Of course gasping at the surface is also a sign of a lack of oxygen in the water.

I'm not sure what you should be able to get away with in these situations, but I suspect you have found the limit the hard way. Maybe a water change at day four from here on in.

I have concluded that there is something wrong with the water in the 2nd breeding tank. So I have decided to do a 100% water change.

I suspect you have found the limit the hard way

That is impossible because there were only 2 fish in the Death Tank (I have labeled it such because I have lost many fish in this tank.) When I realised that the second (and final) guppy was showing signs of Clamped Fins, I removed him from the Death Tank and put it into my established community tank. He was gasping for air then, probably as a result due to the stagnant and dirty water in the Death Tank.

I have drained the tank completely, and will re-fill it soon. This time I will use de-chlorinators. Also attach an air stone.

Thanx

breaka\/\/ay

there were only 2 fish in the Death Tank

I was thinking in terms of time rather than number of fish. In the end it is the product of the two (and what it has been historically if there is not filtration/aeration).

I have drained the tank completely, and will re-fill it soon.

Well that should solve any ammonia or lack of oxygen problems :). How about filling it with water from the good tanks ? Then you start off knowing that the water is not contaminated.

Good luck.

Why put a guppy in stagnent, de-oxygenated, dirty water? I dont know how you could call that a breeding tank if it was in such horrible condition. Generally you try keep the health of the tank as close to 100% as possible, I know my breeding tanks are given a water change every 3 days and get a gravel vac 1-2 times every month, And get a scrub on the glass regardless if there is or isnt visible algae. and have constant filtration.

If you can not provide the above for your fish regardless of breeding, then you should not be keeping fish.

Shae 250