CO2 bottle system

Baroness

This is really a beginners question, and please direct me to threads if you know of them.

I have spent a bit of time using the search function, but had no luck as yet.

What do I need to set up CO2 with a bottle? (DH has 3 bottles that he uses for welding and says that I can use one for plants 8) )

I will be running a 180 litre tank and I want to plant it quite heavily.

Also where is the best place to get the items I need?

I'm assuming a solenoid (to turn off at night time)

A pressure regulator (to adjust the flow)

A one way valve (so no H2O flow back?)

A diffuser/ladder thingee (to disperse the bubbles)

and is what is the black CO2 hose for? is it important?

Feel free to ROTFL if I'm way on the wrong track....

I couldn't find any way to buy the bits separately that would work out cheaper than buying a unit from that auction site with the initials TM. The unit had the solenoid, bubble counter, regulator, needle valve, etc etc.

The black hose is CO2 proof. Normal silicon airline won't contain the gas as well, you'll lose gas through the walls of the hose. The pressure to force the bubbles down the water column and through the diffuser is about the same pressure required to open leaks in the silicon hose.

Diffusers are a popular point to argue over. I made a couple when I first started, then switched to using a line directly into the filter intake so that it diffused via the filter. I'm not sold that there is any significant difference between the two methods.

Whilst I'm on my gratuitous advice soapbox, here's a couple of other things I reckon are worth knowing. :D

- Needle valves seem to "work in", in that the flow rate doesn't stablise for the first 24hrs or so of run time. Keep an eye on the bubble rate as the resultant pH crash can really upset your tank.

- You'll need to watch your levels of nutrient and fertiliser. I ended up having to dose trace elements, nitrate, magnesium and potassium as the plants were stripping the tank.

- High CO2 needs high lighting intensity to get the full advantage.

Thats pretty good advice John

another couple of things to think about is that bigger bottles can cause an over dose as they can "dump" when pressure gets low..only happened to me once.

a soda stream bottle can be just as effective as a bigger bottle and most comerical tank units will fit these without to much hassle but you need to fill them more regularly...but they are easier to hide than say a 3 foot tall tank used for running a pubs co2 system ( thats what I use)

I have always prefered a diffuser rather than a ladder and this is personal preference as some have just as valid arguments for other types of introducers of co2 into the tank. Generally you are looking to intro the smallest bubbles possible for the longest time probable with the least water disturbence.

If I have been running Co2 I have never run a filter on my plant tanks as ANY water movement will degas the water and in theory this includes co2 never compared it to a tank with a filter running but I have seen tanks with co2 and high filteration and co2 and they have looked specatular

Finally if you are adding teh cost and trouble of Gas you woudl be remiss not to does micro nutrients and there are just as many IMO about this as there are about any other aspect of keeping water with planst and fish in it.

worth the trouble for me and I think you will find the same.

made my own PMDD but wouldnt bother now as you can source it thru many ppl here or other sites.

HTH

Nav

Baroness have you considered started out with a low tech planted tank first? Maybe just some descent lights, good ferts and seeing if you get the result you want? Once things are established you can always add CO2 later.. I have seen plenty of nice planted tanks without CO2..

Yeah I don't think it will crash and burn but I reckon just try and make it as simple as possible at first maybe you will achieve what you want without spending all the money on CO2 and maybe a DIY one would work out well for you.. There is only one way to find out :)

The CO² system consists of the following components:

1. Gas Bottle (~$200) - looks like you got this sorted

2. CO² tubing (~$15) - polyurethane is good.

3. Bubble counter (~$10)

4. Diffuser (~$30)

5. Brass check valve (~$10)

6. Regulator w/ needle valve (~$120)

7. A solenoid (~100) - these at times come integrated into the regulator - they are used to turn off the gas automatically at night so you don't have to worry about it.

With an appropriately sized gas bottle coupled to the system, you shouldn't need refills for 6+ months.