Super Urgent

dan_from_nz

Over the past couple of days I have had about 100 guppies wiped out, what I find strange is that it is only middle sized ones that are in trouble my biggest and my babbies seem to be fine. I think they have the bacterial form of fin rot, It is the same symptoms that morknmindy described in the thread below. looks like a clammped tail but i pulled a dead one out and the tail was definatly gone. My question is what is the best med for it? I am planning on putting in some formalin but will wait and see what reply i get

Thanks

Daniel

Sorry I can't help with meds but one of our club members was saying he lost several hundred guppies recently. He said they are in short supply in Australia too as they have been wiped out due to antibiotic resistance. This man has been breeding fish in large quantities for many years and also has an importer's licence so I should think he knows what he is talking about.

Dan after reading your post I thought about my dead guppy and he had very little tail left I just put it down to him being pecked at by the other fish over night but after reading what you said I have been looking at sites about Guppy ailments and remedies and it looks like I will be popping into wet pets today to get some treatment most sites seem to say antibiotic such as Tetracycline, Maracyn or Maracyn Two so lets hope they have a good stock

good luck i just got some Malkon from animates and it seems to be working ok still annoyed about loosing 100 fish though, luckily I just ordered some more fish tanks so i get to start all over again.

The other interesting thing is that this all started when i purchased some giant guppies from wet pets ($60 worth) and yet they haven't gotten sick yet

Ok in regards to this clamped fin subject. I have lost many hundreds of young guppy to this in my early stages of breeding. I do not belive it is treatable, I have tryed everything under the sun, however i find some batches just die becuase of it, and in others only a few die.

I believe i no the answer, ever since my problem with that started as i said i had tryed many things, know i no longer have any problems and becuase i do one simple thing! everyhting for the maturing tank is takin from another healthy running tank, eg gravel, plants and water.

I also have the heater and filter in the other tank for a few days before they go into the maturation tank, ever since i have done this i have never had a problem.

Shae 250

• 1 month later...

Hey dan

If you need any replacement guppies let me know. We have hundreds and have not had any loses as stated (fingers crossed). I used to buy my water too but when we got too many tanks I went and bought a water filter and have never had any problems with the water quality since.

Best of luck with your fish.

Cat