Guppy struggling to swim

oneeyedfrog

Hi, a couple of months ago DD's large female guppy was sitting on the bottom very pale unable to swim properly. She was wagging her tail fast but not getting anywhere. Her back end looked kinda stiff . She also looked very thin. I thought she would probably die but we popped her in a tank by herself and a couple of weeks later she was fine.

Last night I noticed she is starting to do the same again. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks

Not sure. If she's thin then it can't be stuck fry as was the case with my female guppy who carried fry for over 5 months!

Worms come to mind but it might also be TB - your fish seems to fit some of the symptoms..the stiff back made me think TB .. is she eating?

copy and paste from: http://guppyplace.tripod.com/Problems.html:

Thin, pale, bent back, pop-eye, ulcers, listlessness, sores, fin rot >

TB - Q/DESTROY - See TB information under Ailments

and http://guppyplace.tripod.com/Ailments.html :

Fish Tuberculosis (TB)

Also appropriately named the Wasting Disease. Fish stop eating,become hollow-bellied, emaciated, grow ulcers, eyes protrude, fins rot, colours pale and the fish becomes inactive. Guppies may live months in such condition. All symptoms will not appear, but be cautious if more than 2 show. TB is caused by mycobacterium bacteria, and is passed from fish to fish by feeding on dead infected fish and feces. Guppies can pass TB to their offspring as well, so it is particularly dangerous and action must be immediate. Remove the diseased fish for observation. If there is no improvement, destroy the fish. Be sure to remove any dead or dying fish from the tank, and quarantine completely. If a number of fish die from TB, tear down the tank and disinfect everything with bleach. TB outbreaks can usually be avoided with proper environmental conditions. TB bacterium is pathogenic to humans. Do not reach into the tank water with bare skin, especially if you have any damaged skin,