Best filter for small tank for minimum current?

Sophia

Hi

Am going to start setting up a small tank (50cm long max) for killies and wondering if anyone has any tips on good sponge/box filters I can look into? I understand that power head type filters where the water gets sucked in the bottom and then flies out the top to make a current are not ideal as I will be having small fish and want to create a more pond-like scenario for them.

If it has to be one that attaches to an airpump then can you also recommend one of those that is quiet!

thanks in advance :hail:

In the killie tank he has a stream pump.

I presumed that was a small filter of some sort. I don't know what it is otherwise

I didn't see any reference to filter or pump in the crocodilius thread.

Do you have a killie only tank or did you put yours in a community?

Most sponge filters and box filters are created equal.. Box filters will suck up more crud but will suck up young fish etc as well, sponge filters wont suck up as much crud but wont suck up fry. I use sponge or box filters on all of my small tanks upto around 100L with no issues :)

Those are good box type filters I find they suck up alot more crud than the sponge filters that Zev linked to although I have and use both the single and double versions of them too. You will find something like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 723395.htm is very quiet as it has an airstone in it and the ones that Zev has linked to are just air rushing down pipes and it can get noisy if you don't get exactly the right flow through them.

Are you planning to breed in this tank?

Hmm, you are correct Ryan, one of mine makes weird bloopy sounds at times.

but I have quite a few that don't - I think the air pump makes more noise in some cases!

I don't have the other ones you linked to, but I would have trouble trying to hide it behind something in the tank!

Is this a display or breeding setup - or both?