microworm media

Jadz

Most people I know use Vegemite for the culture, this is because it is yeast based, so on that basis you can use anything with a yeast base. So you will need to get some micro worms from someone within your club to start the culture, then add the microworms to the bread and vegemite and sit back and wait. As for going off, this is anyones guess, I have had 2 cultures sitting along side each other, one goes off and the other can carry on for months, You will know when they go off because they smell even worse (If that is possible)

I generally use rolled oats. I place the dry oats in the bottom of the container add boiling water so they swell and go porridgy (but without having excess water on the surface). Once the oats have cooled I sprinkle on some bakers yeast and put in the microworm starter culture. You may need to mist with a little water at this stage if the mix is a little on dry side. As Bruce metioned it varies as to how long the culture lasts - I find that if production starts slowing down adding more yeast, more water (if it has started drying out) or both can get things moving again. If this doesn't work then it is time to start a new culture - providing there is still some movement in the old culture you can use a dollop from that to seed the new one.