I got wood. But srsly...

DennisP

I got myself a nice piece of driftwood from a beach in th marlborough sounds.

1: How do i know if it is rotting or not? Should be pretty obvious shouldn't it?

2: The salt, I will soak it for a couple of days, that should be alright shouldn't it?

3: It was sitting on, And probably used to grow in clay. Will this affect it at all?

Please help.

It a niece piece and have some good plans for it. Will probably upload some photos when its ready.

If you can't see any outward signs of rot I suspect it'll be OK, wood rots in water no matter what you do it's just a matter of time..

give it a good scrub and remove any loose bit and pieces, chuck it in your tank, from what I remember from other similar threads the salt in the wood won't cause any harm.

1: How do i know if it is rotting or not? Should be pretty obvious shouldn't it?

Yes, it will feel soft when you push a fingernail or sharp object into it and bits will break off easily.

2: The salt, I will soak it for a couple of days, that should be alright shouldn't it?

Fine but no need to soak it. It does not absorb salt so much as have little bits stuck in the nooks and crannies. I hose them off and give them a scrub with a nail brush, using an old toothbrush, if necessary, to get into tight spaces.

3: It was sitting on, And probably used to grow in clay. Will this affect it at all?

Not if you scrub and rinse it well