Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

Getting back on board... after some time away

Featured Replies

Hi All,

After reading loads of threads on here, I thought it was about time I registered...

I've done a bit with Goldfish and Tropicals quite a few years ago when I was growing up.. but nothing that serious.

When we were up at my parents place at christmas, my girlfriend (Cayley) and I found my old 30L tank and have got it going again in the last few months... we got a lovely red Siamese Fighting Fish ... and more recently a potential breeding pair of bristlenose pleco's. The pleco's are about 10cm each so quite big... a bit too much for this tank... so....

Bought a new 180L tank with stand/hood off trademe recently, but had a bit of an issue a couple of weeks ago when leak testing on the deck... everything was looking good until it was filled right to the top, and formed a dirty great crack in the bottom (we think the nail head that was not so well hammered in to the deck probably had something to do with it). So that was the end of that tank (it wasn't the nicest looking tank anyway if we're honest - was a bit old and a bit worse for wear). With a bit of help from Pete at Port Nicholson Glass.... we now have a new tank that is the same size to fit the stand... so that is currently curing and we're looking forward to getting that setup soon :)

Once that's all cured, have got everything organised to get it going...

Eheim Classic 2215 External Filter (currently seeding on the 30L tank)

Fluval Tronic 200w heater (as well as an old Eheim 150w heater that is looking worse for wear)

15kg of Medium grade (1-2mm) White Marble chip from Petstuff101... hopefully this will be enough to give us a nice surface at the bottom of the tank

In this tank we're planning to pop in our Siamese Fighting Fish and the two BN plecos... and after that we're not sure yet... there are lots of fish we're interested in putting in there..... definitely some Rams, and I'm very keen on a black ghost knife fish... though haven't done enough reading on what they require yet.

So that should be a good start and I'll put up some pictures once I get that going...

Otherwise I'm also interested in Marine tanks... but trying to not get too interested in that until I've got this tank all setup and running happily.

Cheers,

Stephen

Welcome.

Fluval Tronic 200w heater (as well as an old Eheim 150w heater that is looking worse for wear)

I wouldn't put a heater in that is anything but acceptable. 200w should be plenty, no point risking fish's lives with a faulty heater. Is it just dirty or actually damaged/old?

  • Author
Welcome.

I wouldn't put a heater in that is anything but acceptable. 200w should be plenty, no point risking fish's lives with a faulty heater. Is it just dirty or actually damaged/old?

Yeah, I'm not sure on that one.. it's definitely old, works ok just doesn't look good, I'm away at the moment, I'll post a pic up of what it looks like.

The fluval is brand new and should be plenty so I'm pretty happy with that, but thought I might as well throw the other one in as a bit of redundancy.

  • Author
The old Eheims and jagers are usually awesome heaters as long as it isn't physically damaged or filled with water then it should be fine to use :)

That's pretty much what I was thinking, you've just reminded me actually.. it is actually an original Jager.. before they were bought out by Eheim I guess.

Yeah that is what I was thinking I couldn't picture an old eheim heater but figured because they are now the same thing that was what you were referring to. I have a few old jagers going still, I brought one second had (who knows how old it was) like 5 years ago and it only just gave up about 6months ago so they are brilliant.

Most of us have it to one degree or another :lol: Personally I enjoy it but have to keep myself in check. I try to keep it below 10 tanks :-?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.