Show us your overflows!

SamH

I'm trying to install an overflow system on a small tank but my trials so far have failed. Looking for some inspiration, ideas and/or comments on what you have, how it's worked out and how you did it. Drilling the tank is not an option unfortunately so no drilled tanks allowed.

Any and all advice, photos and comments are welcome.

Thanks! :hail:

Well I have a spare, munted tank that'd be no good for a display and no heater for it. Killing two stones with one bird by using the same heater, already have a pump and acrylic for dividers so it's essentially a free filter. Plus I can use the extra space below for more plants and fish.

Thanks!

So I use the HOB motor to draw water from the tank? If so, I need to cut the pipe down right? If not, then how do I get water into the HOB?

Thanks!

No, it siphons out of the main tank into the hob. As long as the main tank water level is higher than the hob the water will siphon out.

HOBOverflow.jpg

So let's see if I have this right. Water flows through the U tube into the HOB casing and only reaches the top of the "To Sump" pipe before draining down to the sump. The water level in the tank will not rise further than the height of the "To Sump" pipe and the U tube will siphon more water so long as the water level in the HOB casing is lower than in the tank.

Right?

but close enough

:o Is close enough okay? Does it matter that the HOB is rated 370lph (not using the motor but still) and the return pump is rated 500lph?

Also, what should the diameter of the pipe to sump be?

He means close enough in that the tank water level will always be higher than that in the overflow (or HOB filter in this case) in order for the siphon to work, have you ever tried to siphon water uphill? The bigger the size of the U coming out of the tank the less difference there will be. I would also recommend having 2 siphon tubes into your HOB filter just in case one gets some air bubbles in it or something happens and it stops working.

The rating of the motor in the filter means nothing the max flow rate will be governed by the size of the pipe to the sump and the size of the pipes out of the tank.

He means close enough in that the tank water level will always be higher than that in the overflow (or HOB filter in this case) in order for the siphon to work, have you ever tried to siphon water uphill? The bigger the size of the U coming out of the tank the less difference there will be. I would also recommend having 2 siphon tubes into your HOB filter just in case one gets some air bubbles in it or something happens and it stops working.

The rating of the motor in the filter means nothing the max flow rate will be governed by the size of the pipe to the sump and the size of the pipes out of the tank.

Also what some people have done is put a small nipple at the top of the U and run it to a powerhead with a venturi inside the tank. The venturi will then suck a tiny bit of water out of the U constantly, not enough to matter though. But if air starts to collect in it then the air just gets sucked out.

Might even be enough to start the siphon on its own, given time.

Hold on, how does the HOB system regulate the amount of water going out of the tank? Or does it just take water without regulating it?

Thanks

It doesn't regulate it. You do not want it to regulate the water leaving the tank. It just removes everything you pump up from the sump. That's why they're called overflows. It's a bit easier to see how it works with an in tank one. When the pump is off the water is at the edge of overflowing down the pipe into the sump. You turn the pump on it increases the height of the water in the tank and it overflows down the pipe. It's all regulated by the return pump.