tank turnover rate

dan_from_nz

i know this question is very dependant on what you have in the tank and is roughly 10 to 20 times the tank volume, but is there any rule of thumb as to how that is allocated ie. x times through closed loops, x times through sump, x times through wave maker etc?

regards,

Daniel

I believe there is a minimum turnover rate for the sump, everything else is in the tank. Recommended minimum's are 5 times for fish only and 10 times for reef. Some people even have up to 50 times turnover for their reef tank. Im aiming at about 20-30. Not sure how happy the fish will be about that though 8)

The only thing important about shifting water through the sump is holding the temprature, otherwise its no more important than any other type of flow.

I am aiming for 30x minimum, 50x peek but its not an exact science.

Chimera - The fish won't care if its 150x. The ocean is a lot more forcefull that our tanks every will be especially on the reef. I KNOW I couldn't stand on a reef when its in full swing, am confident I could stand in my tank without being washed over :)

Pie

should the rate be measured in velocity the water is treveling at or turnover rate or is it as pies said insignificant in respect to the high velocity of the sea water

the reason i ask is i am considering having a large sump with a cover over it to act as a step to get up to the display tank making the sump about 2 times the volume of the display tank and i assume keeping things alot more stable and in theory working as a much more natural eco system (the ocean is massively vast with only a small ralative volume for reefs