Questions about German Blue Rams

breakaway

I've got one male and one female German blue ram in my 200L heavily planted aquarium. Water parameters are spot on. There are a few community fish in there (assorted tetra, otocinclus, etc). I've had them for about one month.

My question is about breeding them - and about them pairing off.

Firstly I've read that just because you put a male and a female together doesn't mean they'll pair off. Is this true? And if so, is it possible they'll never pair up so they'll never breed?

Secondly, how can I tell when they've paired up? The male currently chases the female around a little (not aggressive at all) however they also spend a lot of time on opposite ends of the tank doing their own thing.

Any input appreciated!

Ive found them to be quite intelligent fish and some just wont get on together. They may breed but they have an argument and one of the pair eats the eggs just to peev the other off - I'm sure of it!

Give them time, feed them up on good nutritious food, have some nice romantic spots to get their groove on and i am sure you will eventually be rewarded :) In saying that i borrowed mums pair of cockatoos for about 2 months (they had been together for a year in a community tank), put them in their own tank all good etc etc and still nothing. Gave them back to mum and am now trying her long finned gold ram with my long finned blue ram. *fingers crossed*

Good luck with your pair - i hope they are good parents.